Oktawa's MK012 vs. Marshall's 603s

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by jeronimo, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

Which sound better for overheads, hi-hats and bottom snares? :roll:

2. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

Hey, that bottom-feeder stuff is MY TURF, not Fletcher's!! They're very similar sounding, almost interchangable.

The Sound Room offers matched MC012 pairs, with -10dB pads and 3 capsules per mic - a cardioid, hypercardioid, and omni.

The Marshall 603S is a wide cardioid - somewhere between a cardioid and an omni.

You can't go wrong with either of them. The 603S would be the first choice if you're on a very tight budget (around $70 each).

3. arneholm

arneholm Guest

Hi!

I have seen many references of mics that can be had on a price that sometimes sounds pretty much mystical for me. Like $70 for 603S mics. - No offence, Harvey, but from where can one actually obtain these mics with this price? I would be very much interested... Seems like, being in Europe, ordering over the Internet is my only option...

Arne Holm

4. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

I think Abe's Music, Filiment Audio, and 8th Street Music are all on line, and they all sell them for around that price. ebay is where you'll find a lot of Abe's deals.

5. arneholm

arneholm Guest

Thanks Harvey!

I'll check them out.

Arne

The edit part:
    Checked, they are $80 at 8th street.

6. Roel

Roel Guest

Hey Arne...

I'm in Europe too. Did you find those mics somewhere on a not US-site?
    Buying them in Europe would save me on taxes and shipment...

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

This is an excellent topic for discussion...in Harvey's forum. What can I say, I'm an 'elitist snob', whatever you want to call me...but I [and this is my personal opinion] don't consider these products to be of the level of stuff I would prefer to see discussed on this forum.

The thread has been moved to Harvey's forum, please feel free to continue this conversation there.