Omni mics for piano

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by Marik, Dec 8, 2003.

Tags:
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Marik

Marik Guest

Which small diaphragm omni mics would you suggest for classical piano recording? My price range $700, but at the moment I would prefer going lower. I would not mind getting second hand ones. So far I was looking into:

Oktava MK012 from Sound-Room
    Superlux CMH8K
    Akg C451 with CK2, or CK22
    Akg Blueline with CK92

On the other hand, which omni capsules only can you recommend, as I could DIY preamp body myself.

2. MikoMader

MikoMader Guest

What about used Earthworks TC-30K?

3. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

How about 2 Crown 30D PZMs?

Tape 2 under the lid and you can get a great sound, minimize bleed and come in around your $700 budget. Send 'em into a clean pre and you might never look back.

Just a thought

Phil

4. Marik

Marik Guest

Thanks guys. For my purposes Earthworks is a more versatile mic than PZM. I started looking for a pair to audion in the hall.

5. Duardo

Duardo Guest

I'd second the recommendation for the Earthworks omni microphones. If a pair of TC30K's is a little out of your range, you may consider a pair of SRO's. They're essentially the same microphones and one of the better-kept secrets out there.

-Duardo

6. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

B&K/DPA 4007's

they are more than $700, but I could not help myself from mentioning them in a thread about omnis/piano...

7. Marik

Marik Guest

Yeah, definitely those, as well as 4011's, are on my top priority list once I get dough.

8. golli

golli Active Member

Shure KSM 141