Opinions: Soundelux U195 FET mic...

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by regisfunk, Feb 13, 2002.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. regisfunk

regisfunk Member

Hi dudes,

Just wanting a little feedback on this unit. I am in the market for a pair of something large di. that will work well on different apps, including pop/rock vox. I have a couple of decent tube mics, but I am curious about the 195 FET (with fat switch). Does it sound as cool as it looks? (ha) I'm after a decent rock vocal mic with some balls (not transparent) and a silky smooth top end, but also something that would work well in a stereo micing application (like room mics).

thx!

CS

2. I have limited experience with my U195 -too new :D !!!
    Anyway, from what I know, you seem to have narrowed it down quite well. The U195 should excell in those apps admirably :tu:

T. Alan

3. Bill Plummer

Bill Plummer Guest

I have a pair of U195s and have used them in many different applictions. All around execellent mics. Might be a bit harsh on some female vox but a versatile, quality product.

4. McAllister

McAllister Member

How timely - a coupla nights ago I was doing a mic comparison for an upcoming TapeOp review; one of the mics used for comparison (but not the focus of the review) was the 195.

It dwarfed the competition in every thing we tested; male voice (spoken word and singing [baritone]) and acoustic guitar. Very nice sounding mic. Balanced; lots of clarity; good tight lows that weren't fluttery or boomy.

Please take into consideration: 1) that the other mics were cheapish Chinese things - we presumed the SD would stand up and our suspicions were confirmed blind; 2) all tests were 'soloed' so I cannot tell you how it blended with other things; 3) no EQ, no compression (although a limiter was employed just to make sure we didn't inadvertently overload anything - we didn't).

That day we were checking out a few tube mics and the 195 topped all of those, too (except the Neumann 147).

Your Milage May Vary.

hope this helped

5. I have had almost the same experience that McAllister has had when comparing mics with the U195. Except that I think the U195 kills the Neumann 147. The 147 sounds very harsh to my ears. I think the U195 is one of the best mics you could buy for an all purpose studio mic.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed