1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Label "could we distribute your music"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by audiokid, Sep 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

An acquaintance (in NYC) set up an internet audio company, (a dull copy of MP3.com) He said he had secured a panel of A&R folks to 'grade' or 'filter' the material, he wanted his site to be quality packed, only the cream of unsigned acts.

When I asked him how the high volume of material would get filtered to be a managable level for the A&R experts to deal with, he beamed "I will do that!" "I will throw out all the crap"

That made me want to throw up. He also added thet his personal A&R buddies would get 'fast track' access to the cool acts, so as well as playing God he was looking forward to being corrupt even before he set his business up.

He spent a year on it and it flopped naturally being wholey unorigional as a concept.

Playing God:

For a long while now, the power to grant a record deal, the abilty to give up day jobs, the chance for access to recording budgets. Has been with the A&R man.

In the music industry selection and 'who goes through' is liable to be rife with corruption or conflict of interest and I am sorry (I am on the control room side of the glass) I belive the average musician has a snowballs chance in hell of objectivly judjing other musical works, they are simply too wrapped up in their own music and unfit for the task. Therefore, coupled with my general low expectation for human kind, I belive the idea of a musician collective judging - to be a total bust from the get go.

I will tune in here more often and read the preceding posts in detail.

Anyhow I will continue to be a suspisious paranoid contibuter to this topic.
    :)
    BTW on my recent trip to the NYC AES I had 7 A&R meetings. So if you need it I have perhaps more 'A&R contact' experience than others here, (my whole business is centered on 'new talent') so call on me (on line not via private email) for any info or insight on the subject of presenting stuff to them (in this RO label context) I will try to help.

:)

Jules
    RO Moderator

2. Tymish

Tymish Guest

Hmmm...a CO-OP record label.

Hell it worked for the Green Bay Packers.

United Artists too....

3. radiophonic

radiophonic Guest

Originally posted by Julian Standen:
    An acquaintance (in NYC) set up an internet audio company, (a dull copy of MP3.com) He said he had secured a panel of A&R folks to 'grade' or 'filter' the material, he wanted his site to be quality packed, only the cream of unsigned acts.

Let me guess - mp3dom.com?

4. Jbon

Jbon Guest

I fully applaud&support you guy's brainstorms..so,..go with it;
    MAKE IT SO >improvise ;adapt ;endeavor to persevere
    MEANWHILE I WILL ENDEAVOR to be worthy, present,& timely