overhead drum mics recomendations?

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by secondflooreast1, Jan 26, 2011.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. OtherExacerbater

OtherExacerbater Active Member

Higher end c414's and on the more budget end i started with oktava mk-012's but sold those for a pair of cm3's from Line audio and have been really impresssed with their sound for a mic that only costs about $170 or so usd

2. rmburrow

rmburrow Active Member

Remy..like your comment about the $80 Chinese condenser mic...use once, if wrecked, toss. Better than risking a Neumann.

3. BassLiK

BassLiK Active Member

((HEY)) Those tracks can be the scratch tracks for Michael Jackson Billie Jean , all that's lacking is the strainer top end (LOL). I like it

4. Ustas

Ustas Active Member

this link has 4 pairs of different microphones and 3 different drum pattern
    What number do you prefer?
    well, maybe for each pattern - each mic?

5. BassLiK

BassLiK Active Member

The first one, sounds great to my ears !!!

6. Ustas

Ustas Active Member

OK, look pm for key

7. Ronnie

Ronnie Active Member

Home Page:
    I prefer the Behringer ECM8000 condenser measurement mic for use on my overheads. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it does for me.<a Overhead Drum Microphone - Behringer ECM8000
    Moderator Edit and Warning: (No self promotion cross linking)

8. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The title of this thread is "what would you recommend for OH drum mics". It doesn't specify a budget.

Accordingly, the Behringer is not the best choice for OH drum mics. Actually, it's not even close to being a good choice. Perhaps if someone's total mic budget was $59, it might fit the bill.

I understand that you like yours, (I see you've posted your preference for it in another thread here as well) and that's fine... But no professional here on RO would ever consider it to be a "good" OH drum mic; in fact, we wouldn't even consider it to be a "fair" SD for OH's... I wouldn't even consider it worthy of home/hobby recording.

It's cheap, harsh, brittle and noisy... in short, it's worth exactly what it costs. And this is exactly what I told one of my clients last year when they bought one and wanted to record percussion with it. It took me all of about 30 seconds of listening to it to tell him to return it and get his money back.

And not for nothin', but you're also replying to a thread where the last post was over a year ago. ;)

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Ditto. Unless you like the extreme metalic clank most cymbals are capable of then this isn't a good,fair, or usable mic. Not for overheads. Ever. I will say that I did use one on a plywood box guitar once and it was a sound unlike anything else and if thats what you look for then by all means get a pair. The fact that they are a reverse engineered copy of a VERY great mic (Earthworks M50) shouldn't sway anyones opinion. Really. The only part that is decent is the casing.

10. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    All that said earthworks mics would be the last place I would go for a drum kit overhead, in most cases. Earthworks mics that'd I've heard/used were un exciting, and clinical on drum kit. Those mics have they're place, and uses, but you won't see them above many kits Ill ever mic.

11. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    That's it, I will need to dig up for my old Behringer ECM8000 and make an opinion by myself.
    It's not a good reference mic to begin with and I never used it to record.

I'll make some tests and share my opinion about it ;)

12. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I thought the ET M50 was mostly used for analysis...?...

I've never used them for OH's. Most of the time my #1 go-to for that array is two AKG 414's.

13. pcrecord

Home Page:
    My go to are the KSM44 or C1000s but, I'll surely add some other small condensers to my arsenal in a near future ;)

14. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

HA! I never said that the Earthworks is a mic I would use as an overhead. It is the reverse engineered sample for the B^&#@ger ECM mic that was mentioned as an overhead mic...which it most assuredly does NOT excel at. And to qualify...the Earthworks M50 is one of the best mics in the world at what it does.

15. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    For sure dd, my comment was aimed at one of my buddies who always try's to convince me they can sound good in oh lol.

+1 on them being excellent at what they do.

I heard they were made with such an accurate extended response to record like the earths movement or earthworms or something ... I dunno bout all that but it's seemed to make some sense at the time.

The most surprising mic that's good on oh is a 57, I did out of necessity one time and was pretty happy w the track. Took a lot of the crap room out of it by nature.

pcrecord likes this.
  16. BassLiK

BassLiK Active Member

I wish I had access to more mics to try out for overheads, besides what I started out with, which were C1000's. original NT1's, rode Nt5's. But now I use the ksm32's, and I did hear comparison of the KSm32's to the U87's and I was sold on the ksm32's. Truly a great mic on many sources.

17. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Yeah, I can compare a U87 and a KSM32, they are both condenser mics. End of comparaison ! ;)
    I have a 32 and find it to be a very good mic. I have no doubt they do an excellent job on overheads. But I try to buy mics that I can use for more than one application. I bought the ksm32 a long time ago and I always found it a bit nazal for vocal that I tried it on.
    I bought 2 KSM44 instead that have more flatering HF and less nazal tone. On overheads, acoustic guitars and vocal, they get used more often.

Attached Files:

DonnyThompson likes this.
  18. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    And that's the thing about mics - even quality mics - past the specs and overall quality, what sounds great on one vocalist doesn't necessarily flatter another.

The KSM32 and the U87 are both condensers, both nice mics. I don't think that the 32 sounds as good on everything as the U87 tends to, but I don't think it sounds bad, either.
    I own a U87, and for me, I don't like it on my own voice as much as I do my 414EB, or, for that matter, my Neumann U89. Both of these mics sound better to me on my voice than my U87 does.

( on a personal note, I find the U87 to be overpriced, but I won't deny that it's a good mic, and an industry standard as well) And as Marco said, it also greatly depends on the application.

But these are all still very good mics in general. Whereas with cheap mics ... say, for example, an AT 2020... sounds consistently bad on pretty much everything. ;)

19. BassLiK

BassLiK Active Member

This cat does an amazing job for many applications indeed for the KSM32. Yea I know the marriage between the vocalist and vocal mics do render divorces really quick.