Patch Bay

Discussion in 'Patchbays' started by Doublehelix, Jun 27, 2002.

  1. Doublehelix

    Doublehelix Well-Known Member

    Oct 7, 2001
    This is a topic that has bothered me for a long time, and now I need to solve it as I have decided to finally get a patch bay rather than dig around in the back of my rack every time I need to make some changes! :)

    What is the deal with normalled vs. half-normalled? Nady lists "normalled, half-normalled and isolated"...Behringer lists (I'm not getting a Behringer, but I saw it in the catalog) "parallel, half-normalized, normalized and open", and then dbx lists "normalled and non-normalled".

    I am completely confused as to what these terms all mean and how they differ from one another. I talked to a buddy today that works at a music store, and he tried to explain it, and it made absolutely no sense.

    Can anyone explain this to me in plain English...I know this has to be fairly simple, but I am somehow missing the basics here...

  2. Opus2000

    Opus2000 Well-Known Member

    Apr 7, 2001's a cut and pasty job for ya!

    3. Normalling
    Typically patch bays are wired so that with no patch cables inserted,
    each jack in the top row is automatically connected to the jack
    immediately below it in the bottom row. By planning your wiring
    in advance, this arrangement will let you connect the outputs of
    equipment (wired to the top row jacks) to the inputs of other
    equipment (wired to the bottom row jacks) in the most often used
    configuration. Then, when you need to do something special,
    you can insert a patch cord and change the way signals are connected.
    Normalling is the term used to describe this configuration
    (you have pre-selected your "Normal" signal routing).There are
    two common forms of normalling: HALF NORMAL and FULL
    NORMAL. HALF NORMAL (HN) connects the top row (output)
    jack to switching contacts on the (input) jack just below it. When
    you plug a patch cord into the top (output) jack on an HN patch
    bay, the output signal wired to that top jack stays connected to
    the (input) jack below it and therefore continues to be connected
    to the equipment wired to that input jack. At the same time, the
    output signal from the top jack is now connected to your patch
    cord and can be plugged into another input jack on the patch bay.
    The result is one output going to two inputs. When you plug a p
    atch cord into a bottom row (input) jack on an HN patch bay,
    however, the "Normal" connection between that input jack and
    the (output) jack just above it is disconnected. Using the patch
    cord, you can route that input to a different output. FULL
    NORMAL (FN) uses switching contacts in both rows of jacks.
    Plugging a cord into either the top row (output) or the bottom
    row (input) of a full normalled bay disconnects the "Normal" signal
    flow from the top jack to bottom jack. Patch cords connected to
    the top jack have access to the output signal of the device wired to that
    jack. Patch cords connected to the bottom jack have access to the
    input of the device wired to that jack.

    How's that for service! lol
    Opus :D
  3. themidiroom

    themidiroom Active Member

    Apr 20, 2002
    St Louis
    Very well said Opus (clapping)
    Patch bays are our friends. :p
  4. Opus2000

    Opus2000 Well-Known Member

    Apr 7, 2001
    Yeah....only when their the 1/4 non soldered types....start getting into setting up wired TT bay systems and then their your worst nightmare sometimes! :p

    P.S...I copied and pasted that from Whirlwind's site, no way I was going to try and describe it like they did! lol
  5. themidiroom

    themidiroom Active Member

    Apr 20, 2002
    St Louis
    Oh, I forgot about those monsters. I wouldn't touch a TT bay with a 10 foot patch cable. ha ha
    a little cabling humor. :roll:
  6. Doublehelix

    Doublehelix Well-Known Member

    Oct 7, 2001
    OK...that actually does help a lot!

    Now I guess I should throw out to the group a request for suggestions as to the type (brand) of patch bay they would recommend.

    Thanks again!
  7. Opus2000

    Opus2000 Well-Known Member

    Apr 7, 2001
    do not get the patchbays with the swappable cards....they suck big time..most of em end up going bad, they don't stay locked in and wiggle about! Not good...
    Now, you want a cool patchbay....go with the Hosa ones! Perfect for the home studio or project studio. I set up 6 of these things at the community center here in South Central LA...solid design, switchable normalling modes(with a great definitions and examples in the manual!)and fairly cheap if I remember correctly....
    Sweetwater Ad for Hosa

    Anyways...that's my reccomendation for your situation. Normally for a serious set up one goes for TT since you can have twice as many points as a 1/4" bay! Mogami wire and Neutrik TT Bays!
    Opus :
  8. themidiroom

    themidiroom Active Member

    Apr 20, 2002
    St Louis
    I've got a couple brands of bays. One is a Tascam 32 point. It's cool, but converting to half normalled or straight through requires a soldering iron and a steady hand.
    My dbx 48 point bay has the individual cards. Both seem to work very well. Opus, I'm going to take a look at the Hosa bay. I love their cables! :D
  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice