1. Hi Guest, if you are interested in professional video editing software, be sure to enter to WIN > Vegas Pro 15 now!
    Dismiss Notice

Patchbays; TRS vs TT

Discussion in 'Patchbays' started by lbeaulac, Jul 25, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. lbeaulac

lbeaulac Guest

Obviously you can't go wrong with the TT type patchbays, but the price is quite high. :td:
    The TRS (frt/rr) seem like a good choice given that you can easily set them up.
    Just wondering about the quality; sonic and durability...

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

unless your dealing with a large quantity of patches and want them in a smaller space the 1/4" bays will be just fine. You *can* find some goode deals on used TT bays but its kinda pointless if your hooking up to a 24 channel 8-bus or something.

3. TRS has been working for me. I am using the inexpensive AV brand TRS patch cords from Musician's Friend.com and they work fine. I also bought a Nady patchbay from them that has been fine. I have used the AV brand for TRS-TRS 8 channel snakes, the 28 channel snake to box, and the patchbay cables with no probs. Normally I wouldn't specify an online retailer to buy from when recommending gear, but M-F is the only place I have seen carry that line.
    Good luck with your hunt. Patchbays aren't glamorous- not as much fun as buying rack gear or mics- but have fun. David

4. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I have a couple of the inexpensive Neutrik 1/4" TRS patchbays (about US$100 each), and yes, they are pretty easy to set up over the bantam type, and sound fine. I don't do a lot of repatching, and have most things normalled to prevent a lot of patching, this will certainly prolong the life of the units.

I custom-wired my whole studio with Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors, and have *everything* wired through the patchbays...it is worth the effort. I have also made some really nice TRS patch cables (mogami/neutrik), since I tend to abide by the "weakest link" theory.

5. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

If you are using the patchbay for light duty, the less expensive 1/4" patchbays should be fine. In a commercial studio where there is a lot of patching going on, the patchbay needs to be durable and tarnish free. In that case the commercial grade TT or long 1/4" style are the only thing that will stand up to the regular abuse.

Steve

6. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

Check out this site for inexpensive but high quality (ADC) patchbays. I bought 3 ADC 48 point punch down long frame patch bays that sell for about 1000 bucks each for a little over 600 bucks shipped to my house!
    Mr Patchbay

Still, expect to spend some cash if on cables if you go TT or longframe.