Pendulum comps?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by coldsnow, Jan 27, 2002.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Has anyone tried Pendulum Audio's compressors? I particularly thinking of the opto to use in both tracking (at times) and for stereo mix. Anyone compared them to the Avalon's 747 and 2044?

2. CFS

CFS Guest

I have used the OCL2 for about 3 years now. Its an amasing piec e if you want to compress not for the sake of making something sound compressed but make its dynamics smaller then it is the greatest thing on earth. I have used it on every instrument though usually in a mix I use it on the Overheads to create harmonics, and keep them in your face but in the same place in the mix. It maintains in fact I dgo as far as to say improves the resolution of whatever you put through it. My favorite trick with it is I have 10 great mic pres to do drums with so usually the tom mics i skimp on and what i do to make up for the shitty mic pres during tracking is I run the toms through the OCL2 and instantly they are revived and sound totally HOT. I use no compression at all on the toms just the color of the comp. It does just the trick. ITs amasing on the 2 mix bus but we also have a 6386 so I just stick with that 90% of the time.

3. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Thanks CFS. Have you ever compared it to Avalon's comps?

4. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I've heard the 6386 in action and it slightly thicken's what goes through it and adds a fair amount of "glue" while making things a little bigger. Very cool piece, I don't know if I'd call it versatile but what it does, it does well.

5. CFS

CFS Guest

I have used the avalons b efore nearly everything theyve done i liked the EQ but everything else bored me.

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Guest

I have the PA ES8 Vari-mu which has a softer more euphonic sound than the 6386, and is cheaper as the 6386 tube which is the same as a Fairchild is becoming rare. It make eveything sound bigger and warmer with excellent imaging. Guitars sound really crunchy and its great o on vocals and bass as well as a 2-bus compressor foe mastering where it excels at lending a HiFi sound to your mixdowns. v Transparent
    :) :) :) :)

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed