1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Piano Recording- please comment on the recorded sound

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by mikej, Mar 25, 2013.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

sure ... no reason you can't take a speaker and excite a piano at mix .. same concept as using a live room, speakers and a mic for reverb .. old school stuff. you can't do that itb ... ain't no plugs that do it either ...

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I use the Bricasti ( and wish I had a few more) for this, in a Sympathetic way to pull the harmonics over to another channel(s) per-say. It seems to help make crappy or already excellent mixes sound more open and harmonically vibrant. Seems most effected OTB with something like the Neos and a capture recorder.

There was a cool article somewhere that I can't find showing Bill Putnam running back and forth between a bathroom and the CR.

How Humans Conquered Echo - William Weir - The Atlantic

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Yes. Sympathetic vibration is the actual term. As Kurt says, you can place a speaker next to/under the piano soundboard to induce the vibration too.

I have been playing with stretching the bass and low tenor sections of pianos lately. Sometimes it doesn't work out quite as well as I think. Last Sunday I performed/recorded/tuned a chamber music performance and the piano in question was a beautiful Bechstein Conservatory 280. I stretched the bass a little too far for that piano and era of music. The piano sounded GREAT by itself on some Billy Joel and pretty decent on the Moonlight Sonata. However, on concert day I heard it with clarinet and bassoon on a Glinka composition and the harmonic structure did not lend itself to quite that much stretch. Oh well, it is just like experimenting with microphone placement-only it takes me 20 minutes to redo the tuning if I get immediate unpleasant feedback.

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Chris, I also recorded a Debusy recital last friday with the SF12 up close and a pair of C414's 16' back into the hall. You want those tracks to play with? Caveat, at the last minute I switched the C414's to hypocardioid instead of the omni I had sound checked. Another error in judgement in retrospect but it will turn out OK regardless.

The piano was a Yamaha C5.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I love Royer SF miced closer than I once though. Its all about the balance between the room and source, get that right and what a sound eh! Man I love those mics.

That sounds like a good one, John. Yes, I'd love to mix it. My studio is dissembled, all in boxes. I'm debating moving it all the the lake and setting up there for the summer but now I have tons of work coming here so I may be unpacking it all again. It needed a good cleaning here anyway. Please, send it over!