Please help. Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by davy1710, Sep 3, 2009.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

  1. davy1710

    davy1710 Guest

    I was hoping to get -Reaper
    -Line6 Pod x3
    -Midi Cables (for electric drum kit)
    -And some firewire interface.
    -Some kind of mic (ONLY FOR VOCALS)

    Is this ALL i need to record guitar, bass and drums? (vocals are not a prioroty)
    Thank you and please advise if this is all i need to record and what is a good affordable firewire interface.
    Thanks again
  2. Codemonkey

    Codemonkey Well-Known Member

    Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    Well you also need a PC, but we'll assume you have one.
    And electrical power, but you probably have that.
    Instruments? OK we've got those.
    Nearly there!

    Reaper seems a cool choice. However your interface (when you get it) might come with software of it's own - while both will work, you may end up choosing Cubase LE or whatever.
    Mic I'd say SM58. Works on vocals, also works on nearly anything you point it at...

    I dunno about firewire interfaces, but obviously you need one with MIDI capability.

    Also, I don't use MIDI drums, but - something tells me you MAY have to have a sampler program on the PC that turns your recorded MIDI into drums again. Unless you record it to the PC, then play it back out through the drums and record the audio feed returned from there. You can also record the audio directly if you have a pair of line inputs on the interface.
  3. davy1710

    davy1710 Guest

    Yeh i would use Ezdrummer for the drums. So rekon thats me all set?
    thanks btw :)
  4. Codemonkey

    Codemonkey Well-Known Member

    Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    Well if all you want is to use the electric kit as a way of sending MIDI signals into the PC, then that's all you need. A single MIDI cable from the kit Out to the interface In. Then you slap that MIDI into Ezdrummer, I guess.
    Someone who's used it can answer that with certainty.

    Firewire interface, RME gear (Fireface) comes to mind - a lot of people here like it - but that could be overkill for you.

Share This Page