Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermoins

Discussion in 'Recording' started by goodguy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. goodguy

goodguy Guest

I have IT background but no sound background, I would like to record audio and maybe even video to cd or dvd, what kind of equipment should I use for this purpose? I would like for it to be of descent quality. Thanks.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Re: Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermo

Is he already using a PA system that you can take a feed from, or do you need to equip him with a microphone specifically for the recording?

Yes, it could well be all downhill from here.

3. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Re: Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermo

Gah, I was going to say something like that.
    Now, not to sound condescending but --- :lol:

I have an IT background (I'm the resident geek, I guess), and my audio background was in a Church.

What you need is a budget. Do they want it cheap? Give em it cheap and when they complain, ask them for a budget to do it properly.
    But if they want it "acceptable" which is probably the case then tell them it won't be cheap.

If you already have a PA rig (or Induction Loop), as Boswell said, find out the gear involved and what options you have from that. Are there Aux/Monitor sends (not in use) on the mixer? Is there a Direct Out from the microphone input?

I'll assume you want to record to a computer. So that means deciding on an audio interface (your Creative Soundblaster is the budget option, referred to above) and software - for sermons I find I don't edit much if at all, so anything such as these would do. (Links are in rough order of price required to get them). I suggest Kristal, it works for me.
    (See also: Free Recording Software? Suggestions)

Now, you want these to go onto a CD? So you'll need some CD burning software.

(More CD burning programs and discusison thereof should be in the Mastering Forum).

4. goodguy

goodguy Guest

Lol thanks for the correction every1. I need to get a mic that can be clippedo n his shirt or something, (wireless) that I can connect to the comp at the other end. Would this be enough?

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

No.

The thing you want I believe is called a lavalier, or lapel mic depending where you go.

You should have a wireless receiver as part of that, and that will provide output in the form of either (or both of):
    -XLR low impedance
    -TRS high impedance
    output. You then need a way of getting the output from one of these into your PC. This will require an audio interface.