Pre-amp for live orchestral recording?

Discussion in 'Orchestra' started by kazam, May 30, 2010.

Tags:
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. kazam

kazam Active Member

Ok, fair enough. That makes sense and I can't deny that. The Millennia only cost me $50 to rent and was money well spent in my opinion. But if I were to own it, that wouldn't make sense with my currently limited equipment.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Good external preamps into your units line level inputs will yield different and/or better results than the built-in microphone preamps can deliver. And instead of that crispy crunchy imitation FET 47 why not try one of their new stereo ribbon microphones. That's where you're going to get all of the warmth with terrific presence. That would even sound good with your recorders built-in microphone preamp's guaranteed. Ribbons are always lush, full, no harshness.

Ribbon lover
    Mx. Remy Ann David

3. RogerD

RogerD Active Member

While it has only 2 channels, I often use a Grace Lunatec preamp with the S/Pdif out into a Tascam HD P2 recorder. The Grace gives superlative audio and its AD converters are excellent. Most popular mic is an AT 4050 M/S combo. Have used a MOTU 896 (has 8 mic pres) but not good for classical recording, so now have the latest RME UFX as it has excellent pres, AD converters and both USB and Firewire outs for the PC.

4. Steve@Russo

Steve@Russo Active Member

no one has mentioned True systems?? I have a buddy who conducts 2 of the major Philharmonics in the US and that is what he uses.

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

True gets plenty of love around here. That's what I use to record classical as well. And pretty much everything else too at this point.

However, this was a student last spring who was running the audio into a Tascam flash recorder. The summary is that there wasn't too much point in going wild and crazy with the preamp since the limiting factor was going to be the Tascam circuitry. I am begrudgingly coming around to the idea that some of the Tascam gear may not be as heinous as the boards of the 90's, but it is a slow healing process for me. ;-)

Now is your buddy conducting or recording? The Music Director doesn't get to say crap about what the recording engineer gets to use. Just sayin'.

6. Steve@Russo

Steve@Russo Active Member

he is the conductor for multiple philharmonics, but he purchased n behalf of the recording eng. I went last winter to see him in NY, it was nuts. He also purchased the same thing for himself. I have sold sound devices also to a world renowned pianist for his own recordings. Those guys are very particular.

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Sound Devices is a whole other scenario. Those are great. Tascam isn't in that league no matter if they've improved. As a piano tuner though I can tell you that many pianists are completely unaware!!! We joke around about doing AB tests with a piece of gear on bypass but we ain't got nuttin on many pianists and their "tone." And you'll have to bear in mind when you read my posts that I view conductors from a principal horn players perspective! Often times they could stand to conduct a few more kilojules and a few less beats in a bar :)

8. RogerD

RogerD Active Member

On the question of Tascam and other recorders digital, I tried the preamps on my HD P2 and quickly decided that they were probably OK for a casual recording task (like a feel-good PR exercise), however for serious recording a NO NO. Have used several really good preamps into mediocre recorders over the last couple of years and provided they were treated as 'bit buckets' to store the recording, all were pretty good. That view is of course on the basis that you can get SPDIF or equivalent into the recorder, along with the sync signal. What i now get with the Grace/Tascam combo is first rate, clear and transparent. Am sure there be many other really good preamps out there that can interface with modest recorders (although perhaps a bit harder to find in Australia).