1. Hi Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN ACID Pro Give-away
    Dismiss Notice

preamp patch bay question

Discussion in 'Patchbays' started by smog99, Sep 20, 2004.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. smog99

smog99 Guest

Hi all,
    I have a Peavy VMP2 mic pre I sometimes use. I’ve noticed when taking the balanced XLR out to a TRS input on the back of my patch bay, the sound is very thin. When I take an unbalanced out into the patch bay, it’s much fatter and full. Do I need to make a custom cable with the hot switched for this problem. I don’t really know what I doing here. I don’t have this problem with any of my other pres on the patch bay.
    Thanks guys

2. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

its because the 1/4 outputs bypass the output tranformers-- at least thats what i've heard on the net--they say use the 1/4 in .they sound better--is that what you think

3. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

what tubes are you using

4. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I know Peavey uses Pin 3 Hot on most of their Live Sound Gear, and the VMP2 is likely included. I don't see why swapping the relative phase of a single channel would have that drastic of an effect, but it is something to look into :)

5. smog99

smog99 Guest

Mike, are you saying use the 1/4 " inputs ? They are unbalanced. Did you mean 1/4" outs ?
    BTW, I'm using stock tubes. I have some mullards in my Drawmer 1960 I like. I may swap just to hear the difference, but the VMP2 is REALLY quiet with tons of headroom as is.

6. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

yea its the outputs that have a different sound-use the 1/4inch outputs better

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed