Prism Sound Orpheus on Acoustic - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by eternalsound, Mar 6, 2015.

1. eternalsound

eternalsound Black-top!! Active Member

I've included a link to an acoustic guitar being recorded through a Prism Sound Orpheus. The stock pres were also used, along with a Neumann U87 mic.

There are no effects or EQ. The file is completely raw from that perspective.

Orpheus Test

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    -Chuck

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Hi Chuck,

cool, one of my favourite products and instruments. My studio is packed for a new location so I can't critically listen but I'll enjoying listening to this through my portable rig.
    • Are you happy with this or wondering what others thing because?
    • Is it fitting into a mix?
    • What DAW are you using?
    • Where did you record this?

There is a 20 sec lead on this in case members walk away before waiting to get to the start.

3. eternalsound

eternalsound Black-top!! Active Member

Hi Chris,

One of my favorites too!

I am happy with the unit, that's for sure. At times I post stuff that I would have liked to of had when I was shopping around. There is a lot of stuff available and the way I see it, I just add to it.

Mix is great, although I primarily use it as a converter for mastering. I don't do much recording.

I use Reaper currently.

That is a clip I recorded in my studio.

Wow! You've got quiet the studio there!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    -Chuck

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    speaking strictly in my own opinion, I would have placed the mic angled more towards the bridge, it sounds a bit low-mid heavy to me, mostly apparent on the quarter note mutes.

But the pre sounds incredibly clean and quiet. I don't believe you'd get much argument from anyone here that it's a very nice pre.