Problem with Condenser mic and USB interface, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by THoTprocess, Jul 9, 2007.

1. THoTprocess

THoTprocess Guest

Hey everyone.

I have an E-MU 0404 USB interface. I just recently bought a R0DE nt1-a and Planet Waves gold-plated xlr-xlr cable. I plugged it all in, turned on the phantom power from the interface, and I get very very low signal, even when I turn up the level all the way for the mic's channel.

I don't know what it could be. I do have an incredibly low signal coming into cubase, but it's unintelligible and I'm sure if I were to boost it, I would get a lot of background noise, too.

Please help me. I'm new to this, so don't assume I connect my chain correctly (although I checked it over and over again).

Thanks a lot.

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

What you do is is to try basic troubleshooting. Break down the problem until you identify what it is the problem. Try using a different mic and/or non phantom powered dynamic mic. Try a different cable. Try the other channel of the 0404. Try using a line level source such as a guitar/bass, drum machine, keybaord, Ipod ect...

E-MU has excellent tech support. You can call them and have them walk you through it.

3. THoTprocess

THoTprocess Guest

Okay I took your advice and plugged in my dynamic with the cable I'm using, and it works perfectly. I also already tried both inputs and same exact results.

Here's the thing--when I turn on phantom power with the DYNAMIC, I still get the exact same level of input. I always thought phantom power should affect the signal when using a dynamic.

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Ok, It appears that there is a problem with your unit in regards to phantom power. Assuming that you bought your 0404 new from a authorized dealer, contact E-MU to obtain an RMA for repair or replacement.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    No, the point is that, as long as it is correctly wired, there should be no difference having phantom power on or off when using a dynamic mic. In this way, you can use any combination of condenser and dynamic mics on a mixer that has only a global phantom power switch. Don't try it with ribbons, though.

Either the phantom power on your 0404 is not working correctly, or your NT1-A is faulty.

6. THoTprocess

THoTprocess Guest

Thanks a lot guys! I'm heading to guitar center right now to test the interface with new mics and pinpoint the problem.

The help was much appreciated.