question about akg 414's

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by silent_nick, Aug 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

Are the XLII's good mics? I'm interested mainly in vocal applications. Is the TLII $150 better than the XLII?

thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

The 414's are a studio standard and have been for years. The TlII is a transformerless design for vocal apps. the XlII I believe is just the name of the new model that replaces the TL II

3. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

the XLII's also $150 cheaper than the TLII. I'm trying to find out the reason, and which one's a better value...

Nick

4. maintiger

The XL II is indeed the replacement for the TL II- they are selling at sweetwater for $899 (see link) also they no longer carry the TLII

Sweetwater

The TL II's you can still get on e-bay for $725, I imagine while their supply lasts - here is the link

E Bay

5. maintiger

E Bay again

6. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

why did they replace the TLII with a cheaper mic (AMS prices are $849 for the XLII, $999 for the TLII). Generally the older mic would be cheaper...

Nick

7. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

The new 414's are an updated version with a new/updated capsule. The main difference in the TLII compared to the ULS is that the TLII is more crisp due to a high end eq bump built in and the lack of the cheap transformer that clouds the ULS version. I almost always prefer the TLII for anything that I would use the 414 on.

8. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

audiogaff...thanks for the help.

have you tried the new 414 (XLII) yet? if so, how does it compare to the TLII?

Nick

9. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

No, not yet. I'm not expecting a big sonic difference. It was just fine the way it was in my book. The remote pattern control is a cool option thou.