Question about Microphones

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by 0ColdZero0, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. 0ColdZero0

    0ColdZero0 Guest

    Hi, I'm kinda new in this "world of music recording" and I bought a Roland DR-30 for my personal recordings. My question is: I want to know what is the name of the "grey" thing in from of a lot of microphones in many studios, and what is the utility?

    like this:
  2. Greener

    Greener Guest

    It's a pop filter.

    It disperses energy from the sound waves, so high spl things like the P sound and the S sound are muted slightly.

    Also stops spit from getting on the mic.
  3. lostindundee

    lostindundee Active Member

    Mar 25, 2008
    A word to the wise.

    Do Not buy that particular brand of pop filter pictured. I bought 2 that were of the same dimensions which look suspiciously like the one pictured. The brand if memory serves me correctly was 'Skytronic' and the price was £7 each - Very cheap.

    Regardless of the whereabouts on the mic stand that I clipped the damn thing, the actual filter part just wouldn't reach to an acceptable distance from the mic. It had to basically touch the mic. Also, the capacity for manouvering the filter was ridiculous. The long thin part between the clip and filter on mine was rigid steel which could not be adjusted in any way. The only way I could use it was by clipping it onto another mic stand next to the one with mic on it and even then it was a pain.

    I ended up binning them and paying £25 each for a couple of Shure ones which are luxurious in comparison.

    Just thought I'd warn you.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page