Question on Insert Jacks

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by TomF, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. TomF

    TomF Guest


    I know an insert jack gives you a SEND & RETURN via a y- cable with
    1/4"TRS on one end and 2 TS plugs on the other.
    The TS send & return signals are unbalanced signals,correct.

    My question is:
    Now say you want to insert, for example a compressor that only
    has balanced in/outs.
    You have a balanced signal going into a unbalanced.
    How is everyone dealing with this?

    Thanks for the Help!
  2. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    Nov 13, 2001
    yes TRS is an unbalanced insert

    I find you have to take the intsert to flying leads and experiment until you get the best signal transfer and best noise handling

    often this is pins 2 and 3 rather that pin 2 and 1

    if this still falls short for level reasons then only a balancing unit with gain will fix the situation

Share This Page