questions using home stereo speakers & receiver

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by moriddim, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. moriddim

    moriddim Guest


    I hate to trouble you all with a post like this, but I'm looking for a way to use my old stereo speakers as monitors for my recording/mixing sessions. The speakers are Sony model no. SS-MC3AV and use what I think are called stripped or bare wires to connect to the stereo. With what little knowledge I have, I'm fairly certain that they are passive speakers powered by an amp within the stereo system.

    Would I need a separate power amp to get these to run from my computer? If so, would there be anything else that I would need?

    Thank you for your time.

  2. dementedchord

    dementedchord Well-Known Member

    May 11, 2006
    please understand that all speakers are NOT created equall... so whether they might be appropriate or not i couldn't say... however sure you can use them... and an amp should be all you need... infact in a pinch you can use that reciever you've got them hooked to now.... do your self a favor and dont use any tone controlls or loudness button.... in fact if there's an input marked "amp in" use it...
  3. moriddim

    moriddim Guest

    Thanks for responding, dementedchord.

    I know I can use the receiver. I actually have some other speakers hooked up to it now for my entertainment system. I had these lying around, so I thought why not use them as monitors.

    I was looking at power amps online and I had a hard time finding one with inputs for bare wire. There are plenty with XLR, S-PDIF, and RCA inputs, however. Maybe I can find something that converts the bare wires to RCA's?

    I may have to make a trip to Guitar Center, but I was checking here first so that I would not have to be taken advantage of/patronized, no offense to any nice folks that work there.
  4. Dosser

    Dosser Active Member

    May 31, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    As for the power amps you're looking at online, they would need inputs of some type to match the outputs of your computer. The bare wires for your speakers are from the power amp's OUTPUT. Specs may list outputs on binding posts. Those are what you're looking for. For example, the specs for the Alesis RA 300 list binding posts for the output connectors, with inputs on RCA, 1/4", and XLR connectors.
  5. moriddim

    moriddim Guest

    Binding posts. That's exactly the terminology I was looking for.

    Thank you for sorting out the signal flow, too. I think I will be set-up in no time.

    Thank you all, again.

Share This Page