Raw materials for cables

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Destron, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Destron

Destron Member

I have been wanting to make my own cables and have found various guides on the net describing how to do so, but I do not know where to purchase the raw materials -- connectors and cable. Can anyone point me to a reputable store on the net or in the San Fransisco / Bay Area? Thank you.

2. k.w.blackwell

k.w.blackwell Member

Try http://www.redco.com/ and http://www.markertek.com/ for starters. And be sure to have decent wire strippers. Mine weren't optimal, and I found it was taking me nearly a half hour per connector with Star Quad cable (all the stripping, preparing, shrinkwrap and labeling, etc., though the soldering itself was rather quick). Overall, I still think it was worth it.

3. Destron

Destron Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update when I actually make some cables.

4. Destron

Destron Member

So I have run into some problems in my search to purchase cable.

What cable is appropriate? I was under the impression that Canare L-4E6S is high quality cable, but I am confused as to its use. It is advertised as microphone cable, but I don't see any "line level" cable available. More specifically, my questions come down to this:

1. Can/should I use Canare L-4E6S to connect between, for instance, the outs of a mic pre-amp and the ins on my AD?

2. If the answer is no, what cable do you recommend?

This is for a home studio where I am using equipment such as a Delta 1010, RNC, SM57's. I record keyboards and mic'ed instruments such as acoustic guitar, ukulele, drums, vocals. Thank you.