Real Tape harmonics vs their emulations

Discussion in 'Tape Recorders' started by achase4u, Apr 4, 2015.

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Info:

The tracks were transferred from the original analog multi track master, transferred in stems and converted to digital; then remixed, remastered.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that digital can sound good. It's not the medium that sounds bad... it's what you do with it that determines its fidelity.

By removing the bulk of the compression/limiting that was added when it was first released on CD back in the 80's, and by using better conversion, they were able to get back almost 10db of dynamic range.

And just to be clear, what you heard on the video above was not "hi res" 32 bit, or 24, or, even 20. It's a 16 bit file, mastered for CD Release. And by the time it hit the youtube vid above, it's been even further knocked down in resolution, yet it still sounds fantastic. All the warmth and silk, and no "brittle" or "harsh" frequencies, no weird phasing anomalies. (Listen to it on your studio monitors or through really nice HP's ;) )

If it sounds this good on Youtube, can you imagine how good the original remastered digital version sounds before it was released on youtube?? ;)

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I'm far from Kurts reasons lol.. :LOL: But we do see eye to eye on the marketing thing here.

I prefer my hybrid process and analog synths with pink noise to get me noise. Nothing better than an analog synth in the background . Been doing it like that since I got into hybrid mixing. I like the emulation, but I don't the marketing behind it. It irritates me.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Donny, i am not going to be able to read that post. the page is way too heavy and it freezes my computer up .

4. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    They've done quite a lot of other things to the carpenters tracks. Some work, but some are a bit strange - like pianos very much one sided, but it does seem nicer - quite a bit of hiss revealed in certain places too! I really wish I had kept it, but a few years ago somebody let me listen to a direct dub from some Buddy Holly tracks from (I think) 1958 - and they were stunning.

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You can listen to the Carpenter's youtube link I posted, though, right?

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member