Recoding Fender Rhodes

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by kid, Mar 20, 2002.

1. amitaigat

amitaigat Guest

Isn't that what it's all about?

2. Pootkao

Pootkao Guest

I'm also working on a project with a Rhodes right now. We run it through a Fender Twin or a Leslie, depending on the song. No tube pre available unfortunately, but the Focusrite ISA 428 hasn't hurt the effect either.

Best results were the following:
    Rhodes > Fender Twin > Leslie > Stereo Neumann KSM 184 > Focusrite ISA428

I'd use 184s on guitar amps, if I could. I'm in love.

3. rdub

rdub Guest

find a nice small tube amp with built in spring reverb. dial up a little amp reverb, and record it. you'll be glad you did.

4. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

When Rhodes were widely used in my neck of the woods in the 80's the standard combination was to use a Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120 amplifier. This amp is pretty loud and also allows you to overdrive it to taste. The stereo Chorus effect went extremely well with the Rhodes sound.

If you can't get a hold of such an amp, maybe a Line6 or similar can do the job ?

Just an idea,

MisterBlue.

5. edgar

edgar Guest

dudes...

fender rhodes into the behringer v-amp ...just ANOTHER way to do it....

6. timstoel

timstoel Guest

The real thing is THEE way to go. No digital critter can ever capture the realism of the original. I just got a Wurlitzer EP and can't leave it alone. It is noisy at times, but it has beautiful dynamics. The feel is different, too. It's all about the feel, the vibe, the overall experience. The real thing inspires me to do things differently than a keyboard. (I have a REAL B-3/Leslie rig too and would never dream of living without it)

I mic the Wurly with Crown CM-700s, which might produce interesting results with the Rhodes as well.

Good luck ripping these items out of my cold dead hands.