Recommend me some Vocal and OH mics? ~£200 each.

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by TwelveGauge-GT, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Okay, I am looking for a nice vocal mic, for about £200. So far I have been looking at the Rode NT1000 & NT2A and the BLUE Bluebird.

I am also looking for a matched pair of condensers that could be used for drum overheads, but also acoustic miking. The Rode NT5 is what I have my eyes set on at the moment.

Am I on the right track?

Any other recommendations are welcome!

Thanks.

2. JCMastering

JCMastering Guest

I think the BLUE Bluebird would be a good choice for your budget.

For the matched pair you may also consider the Beyerdynamic Opus 53 and the Audio-Technica ATM450.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    For an LDC in that price range, the NT2-A is good value. You may prefer the sound of a ribbon on your vocals, in which case one of the Blue series or possibly a Cascade Fathead are worth considering. Ideally, you should audition before purchase, even if just to hear the difference between an LDC and a ribbon.

For the overheads, go for the NT55MP rather than the NT5MP, as they give you much more flexibility by having interchangeable omni/cardioid capsules.

4. Has anyone got any sample of either a Bluebird or NT2A?

The NT2A is very appealing, with its numerous options included. I am just wondering how much better the sound on the blue is..

Which will sound better without a preamp?

The NT55s work out a lot more expensive than the NT5s if you buy them in a pair. They'll be used as mainly drum overheads so I won't really need all the swappable heads.

5. Just a quick bump - still haven't made up my mind!!

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

"Which will sound better without a preamp?"

WHAAAT
    A preamp is essential. Even if it cost $40, it'll sound better than no preamp at all.
    A preamp isn't something used for changing the sound, it's used to make the low volume mic output loud enough for other gear to work with maximum signal-noise ratio.