record drums in multi-tracks

Discussion in 'Drums' started by sergioov, Jun 18, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. sergioov

sergioov Guest

can someone help me ?
    I'm a teenager very interested in learning everything about audio but i'm just starting, Im from monterrey, Mexico.

Can someone tell how can I record each piece of a drumset in one track when I record on a PC

i have a cubasis VST. and a creative sound blaster platinium. and a mixer yamaha mx 20/6

what else do I need ?

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

¬°Hola Sergio, y bienvenidos a recording.org!

So, what kind of mics do you have? You will need at least 4 mics: one on the snare, one on the kick, and two overheads.

To get the outputs of these mics going to separate tracks in your PC, you will need a different sound card, one that can record at least 4 channels simultaneously. Check out the Delta 1010 from M-Audio for this. It has 8 channels of analog I/O which would be enough for adding guitar, bass, and vocals, which I assume you'd like to do.

If you have any more questions, just ask away! This is a great site with some very knowledgeable people.

Best of luck!

David

3. Gidge

Gidge Guest

If you are on a budget, you can get the Delta 1010lt for $249.....

If you are on an extreme budget you can get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, but youll only get 4 mono tracks recording simultaneously with it....

4. sergioov

sergioov Guest

thanks, both of you.

I do have a package from shure which have 6 mics
    3 pg56 1pg52 and 2pg81 also I have 1 pg57 and 1pg58 2 CAD 22A and 1 shure BG 3.1

how can I get the most use of my yamaha mixer 20/6 or should I get another mixer that has output for every input channel ? or record directly to the sound card ?

5. David French

David French Well-Known Member

If your mixer has insert points, you could use them to feed the soundcard.