Record Offset

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JeffGeb, Jun 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. JeffGeb

JeffGeb Guest

Question for the wise out there.

I am currently involved in a reocrding project where I am laying down guitar. My question is this, the guitar player is sitting about 5 feet away from the monitors when recording. Should I put a record offset in to avoid any delays on the tracks? And for that matter should this be a common step taken before recording anything?

2. Ron.G

Ron.G Active Member

I can't emagine that would cause him to play that far off from the other tracks.
    Why not stick some head phones on him/her?

3. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If it were a problem, you would only need about 5 milliseconds of delay. 1 ms per ft. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. JeffGeb

JeffGeb Guest

Well for some reason I was getting a 14ms delay while recording with my computer. So I adjusted for that. I was just curious if it was normal practice to adjust the monitor to player distance.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jeff,
    What you are experiencing is system latency. This is usually over come by monitoring a stereo out from the computer of the recorded tracks and monitoring the live tracks through a mixer. An example;
    My mic pres have dual outs. I route one out to the computer in and one to the mixer. I route a stereo mix from the computer to the mixer. I then blend the stereo and live channels to make a monitor mix. Some recording software has AISO monitoring ability so you may monitor without latency. Kurt

6. JeffGeb

JeffGeb Guest

Thanks Kurt!