Recording advice/comments plse

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by MikeG, Oct 13, 2002.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. MikeG

MikeG Guest

I'd like to make the best out of what I've got here & as I'm in the Scottish Highlands extra gear is not very easily to hand. Would appreciate your advice or comments.
    We have a good-time band who play a lot for charity events & I've always helped out with their sound reinforcement. The band would like to try a recording 'just for fun', if it's good it'll be used for a CD (if not then never mind -that's their typical laid back attitude).
    The band:
    Trumpet/vocalist Trumpet Trombone Clarinet
    Clarinet/Altosax Altosax Tenor sax/Sopranosax Keyboard Electric guitar/vocalist Upright elec bass with own amp
    Drums

What I have to use:
    2 x KM183 omni
    8 x SM57
    2 x SM58
    2 x Shure sax clip radio mics
    Millennia Media HV-3B Micpre
    Tascam 24 bit DAT recorder
    Spirit Folio SX mixer

My thoughts. Use spaced KM183's via HV-3B to 2 channels of mixer panned L/R.
    Use 58's for vocalists panned centre.
    DI the Keyboard
    Use all 57's as spot mics (but this leaves a quandary with the drums).
    One question- when using spot mics (apart from the vocals) should I panpot to the approximate instruments position in the band or just leave pots centred?
    The other though I had was to forget the omni pair and use one of the 183's for the drums hi hat
    and the other??
    Its a motley collection of gear but I'd like to make it work cos they're excellent muso's (been gigging for 25 years) and also personal friends.

Thanks,