Recording bass without an amp help

Discussion in 'Bass' started by qcdding, Jun 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. qcdding

qcdding Member

I've been searching for a cost and space effective solution to recording bass into my computer. I don't have a bass amp because I'm a guitar player... I've got a Presonus Firestudio mobile interface, buy cheap software which has 2 xlr/line inputs.

I was looking at the Tech 21 sansamp VT - If I were to buy this, could the signal chain simply be: bass>Tech 21 VT> Firestudio? cheap software Would that give me a pretty decent sound?

Otherwise, what would you recommend me doing? Thanks!

2. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

Home Page:
    Man I just DI my bass into either my DBX or Mindprint preamp and hit record. I'm happy enough with my bass (schecter). Any effects I need will be done in mix. But usually don't need any except some subtractive eq'ing.

3. CL2Zero

CL2Zero Active Member

I usually just DI Bass myself. I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI box. But, a lot of times I prefer the straight DI sound.
    You might be surprised with what you get with just going with a DI signal. It's worth a try.

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Just go direct with that interface. It'll be just fine. You can add the Sans-Amp and have a bit more control over the tone and the feel. It wont be better, just different.

5. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Home Page:
    I use an LR Baggs Para DI into a DBX compressor and get a nice smooth tone.

6. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I use a Countryman Type 85 DI box. Using a high quality DI will make the recording brighter than just straight into the interface. It's actually better to think of it as being more 'accurate' while not using a DI box tends to dull the sound. After I take the DI, I sometimes track a second recording of the bass guitar through a piece of electric guitar gear, like a Tubescreamer, or Big Muff fuzz and blend it in underneath for some extra texture. This is not needed though, a straight DI is just fine for modern music.