Recording live shows...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by johnthemainliner, Mar 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. My buddies and I are playing some small shows in the upcoming months. I'm thinking it would be neat to have some live recordings, but I am unsure of the best way to go about it. I can't really afford to invest anymore cash in equipment, I've spent too much as it is... and of course quality is important, but it is a live show, and we're just a little cleveland based band, i don't need immaculate results. id be most interested in setting up a remote recording platform, isolated from the stage pa and such, mainly because i just dont have the connectivity to go through the pa (behringer pmx2000) for each channel. i will be using the following...

my laptop,
    motu 828 interface
    hanful of mics

can this be done? anyways, ill just lay it out for you guys. id appreciate any responses i get.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

If you have three omni condensors, you could set up a Decca Tree configuration and send the 3 tracks to the laptop...

Then perhaps a line form the PA to capture the vocals.. You may need to take this from an aux send or a bus to isolate the vocals from the rest of the PA "mix".

Last a line from the bass amp to help with getting the deep lows and keep the bass from sounding too distant and washed out.

If you do not know what a Decca Tree is punch up a Google search.