Recording Oboe

Discussion in 'Woodwinds' started by noteFarm, Sep 25, 2003.

1. noteFarm

noteFarm Member

Hi folks, any one have any sugestions on recording an Oboe, Mic placement,? I am thinking of wood floor, is that a good Idea?
    Thanx in advance
    Peace and good sessions to you all
    NoteFarm

2. white swan

white swan Guest

I've never done an oboe, but I would imagine mic positioning would be similar to a clarinet or soprano sax: mic parallel to body of instrument aimed at middle area about 2-3 feet distant, depending on how much of the room you want.You might need to aim a bit away from the mouth if breath noises are a problem.

Since it can be a bit shrill, a warmer 47ish condenser or a nice ribbon might be a nice choice! On a budget, I'm guessing an AT4060 would work just fine.

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Home Page:
    Note,

> I am thinking of wood floor, is that a good Idea? <

Yes, absolutely. In fact a reflective floor is good for all acoustic instruments. And White Swan is correct that you shouldn't put the mike too close. I have a fairly large live room and I typically mike orchestra instruments from three to four feet away.

--Ethan

4. Mundox

Mundox Guest

Try this: MAke the player play against a wooden wall, or door.Mike the door from where the player approximately is.This produces a nice roomy sound.