Recording.Org / R.A.P / SXSW lunch Austin Texas

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by anonymous, Mar 19, 2002.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Recording.Org / R.A.P / SXSW lunch Austin Texas

Well it was a great trip I had to Austin Texas what a cool place I enjoyed the SXSW festival (March 13th - 18th) and will return again if I ever get the chance.

The following Austin-ites turned up for fine vittles

Jay Hudson(Hit Shack)
    Jeff Maher -(Garage Mahal studios)
    Steve Hudson(Jalapeno Productions)
    Jim Andrews
    Marty Lester (tequilamockingbird / Thymatron Productions)
    (Charles Reiser was unable to attend due to work)

(all were either from Recording.Org or the Rec.Audio.Pro newsgroup)

I would like to thank all for the hospitable welcome to Austin and the good food ordering!

At lunch conversation almost INSTANTLY got to digital storage & back up! No chatter re pre amps here! It was all about the digital present & future. Also discussed was the Tascam 2424 with it’s converters getting good comments and it’s Pro Tools compatibility seen as a definite ‘plus’ factor by all.

I had an action packed day Saturday..

SXSW conference in the morning to hear a few panels on industry matters...
    Lunch with the gang at Curra’s restaurant (Tex Mex)
    A back yard concert at Porchlight studios featuring local indie bands including Kaito from the UK.
    Mojo Nixon & Dash at The Continental club “our drummer is drunker than your drummer”
    The Eels at Zona Rosa (yawn!)
    Hooked up with a chum from London who played Friday at Elysium (Meg Lee Chin)
    Off with her and her band to eat more food - Alligator to be exact .......
    Slythern at The Back Room (Awsome young ‘new metal’ band, singer was....12! (Being produced by a member of Slipknot)
    Bleach (from Japan) & Young Heart Attack - at Elysium

overall I must have seen or heard over 40 bands over the 5 days I was there, but then 900 were playing!

I have to say the pretty women of Austin rocked my world! And that was MINUS all the colledge babes (who were away on spring break)

Thanks guys and thanks Austin!

I would recommend the South By South West (SXSW) festival to ANYONE

DONT MESS WITH TEXAS!

:w:

2. Damn, I hope it wasn't intentional that I didn't know about the lunch! I would have loved to meet some of you all. Jay and I have spoken on the phone, but haven't quite met for that cuppa yet.
    Ahh well, there's always next time.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

For studio security issues I was perhaps a little paranoid about anouncing exact details of my trip to Austin on the web, so I did a search here for posters from Austin and contacted them privately I also asked who was going on Rec.Audio.Pro ... I guess I goofed there.. I am real sorry about that

I may return to Austin again before the year is out... We could have another meet up.

Appologies

4. Dave McNair

Dave McNair Active Member

Julian,
    Porchlight was the studio I built in the backyard of our house before we moved to NYC. I'm glad you enjoyed the Austin hospitality.

5. I understand, no apology necessary.
    Maybe next time? I'm just 30 mi from Austin, and in fact was in town to see the band I'm recording perform at a renegade show on Saturday.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Well y'all, it's a small world, aint it?
    :)