Recording Synth output to Audacity quality issues

Discussion in 'Synths / Samplers & VSTi' started by Stellar1111, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

the Korg has 2 outputs. your sound card has 2 mic ins and 1 line in. so what you have to do to record in stereo is to connect the left and right outs of your Korg into the 2 mic inputs. this will probably be waaaay too hot of a signal for the mic inputs unless you can pad them way down on the sound cards control panel.

the solution is to use a pair of direct box's between the Korg and the sound card. here is the cheapest solution i could find.

you will need the appropriate connecting cables. a pair of good 1/4" to 1/4" shielded cables to run from the Korg to the DI box and then a couple of Female XLR's to 1/8" (or RCA's) to run from the DI box to the sound cards mic inputs.

2. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

Hi, as someone who began WAY back on a sounblaster, I concur with my peers. Save yourself a headache. eBay, or if you're on Facebook (trading groups) should yield someone's interface they're no longer using. Won't cost you much, and if you buy smart, your headaches will be over :).

Cheers,

Tony

audiokid likes this.
  3. Stellar1111

Stellar1111 Active Member

Clouding the waters is a good thing, provides for more room for me to learn something! The Korg has stereo output... L/mono - R (is how its listed). Im starting to think that i have 2 primary issues. 1) my sound card sucks... and I am purchasing a USB external as we speak. 2) when modeling on the keyboard, the sound that i am looking for, i can only seem to create within the low wave amplitudes and cutoffs which in my experience equates to low volume output, and probably translates further with less fidelity when trying to record it. If i could master the technique and get the patches to have better power output without altering the end result, the recordings might be satisfactory. Most of the time, I have the AMP on the timbres turned up 100%. When I use pre-build internal sounds for other recordings, there is still a slight dulling down of the patch.. but not to the point where i dont want to use it, and i can tweak the audio and make it satisfactory.

There was one patch i created, and i noticed it made my sinus pop wide open! Wasnt what i was going for, but thats what happened. I recorded several times / different ways and didnt have the same affect. After screwing around for hrs recording and tweaking, my sinus was stuffed again. Put the headphones on directly to the Korg.. popped them wide open again. As I went to save the patch, i accidentally hit a button that blew all the settings away. Story of my life.. 2+ pls hours to learn the same lesson over and over. Save as i go along.

For now, Im just going to keep modeling until i get the USB external and from there, see what difference it makes. All your inputs are extremely helpful and i learned a lot in a short period of time. Greatly appreciated!

4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Yup ditto, circa '01, soundblaster external soundcard, as an upgrade to stock soundcard. It was the first $30 I put towards digital audio interfacing. I went thru the same type of thing with cables and stuff trying to break the 2 track simultaneous recording barrier. I got some use out of it before eventually snagging an M Audio FireWire interface. That was when full duplex operation was a consideration. Dsp has moved quickly, particularly at the base level. 15 years ago I was using a soundblaster and portastudio, now there's realtime emulation and guitar amp simulation. All in the same price point. Couple hundred bucks does a lot more lately...

The performance you get from something like the focusrite or presonus ASIO drivers is worth the cost of entry imho

Makzimia likes this.
  5. Stellar1111

Hey folks.. Just a quick update. Upgraded my soundcard situation to the Berhinger U-PHORIA. This definitely did the trick. I am able to get the intricate details of the sound with little to no degradation.
    Bad news is.. all the recent stuff i have been working on would serve better to be re-recorded. Wish i did a better job documenting what I did. Thanks again for all your feedback!

audiokid and pcrecord like this.
  6. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You can't go cheaper than the Berhinger U-PHORIA, but I'm glad you found the match to your expectations.
    Thanks for the update !

audiokid likes this.
  7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The Behringer is as cheap as they come, but still a substantial improvement over what you had. You're a hobbyist, so the U- Phoria will be fine for what you are doing. It will allow you to get your ideas down, and to have fun, because you'll have better results than before.

Enjoy! ;)

8. Stellar1111

Now i feel like i made the wrong choice. Comparing specs and price point, I thought it was comparable to the Focusrite Scarlett and it has 4 inputs. I SHOULD have listened to u all as you have so much experience with this stuff. I guess the only thing that stirred me away was i read to many reviews about failures after warranty and terrible customer service. If there is that much of a quality difference between the 2.. i can still return the U-Phoria and get the Scarlett.

9. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Listen, if you were working in a high class pro studio, any behringer gear wouldn't do. You would use a 2k preamp with mojo going to a 3k converter and get an amazing result.

The U-Phoria is a great upgrade from an onboard computer sound card.
    If you're only going to record line level sources like synths, you're ok with it.
    If you plan to record accoustic stuff in the futur : vocal or instruments or anything with a microphone, then yes switching to a scarlett make sense.
    Remember that for some of use the scarlett's are still entry level units but with what we'd consider honest sound for the price and we'd probably never consider lower quality than this for our work. This is not to say that you can't be happy with any of the gear you own. The level of expectations is very different from one individual to the other.

I apologies if I sent mixed signals... Enjoy making music, it's all that counts ;)

10. Stellar1111

Point taken! No apologies needed. My ear isnt complaining so I guess I am good for now. I can always upgrade in the future if necessary but for now its just synth devices.

Cheers!

pcrecord likes this.
  11. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

don't go beating yourself up. the Behringer will be fine. there's some who will say/ think that Focusrite is a better piece but imo when you are at the less expensive end of the pool, most the stuff offered has more in common than not. i would bet the actual converters perform as well as any other offering and although they moniker is "Focusrite" the pres are not at all like a real Foucusrite (Neve designed) pre that has transformers and discreet topology.

it's when you begin spending thousands that the differences will begin to show themselves. lot of folks are making actual records with less than what you have now. just enjoy yourself. it's not brain surgery.

12. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It won't help much - but my collaborator sent scarlett back as it was very prone to weird noises on his system - usb transmitted - which on a different interface went away. There are very few interfaces that perform badly nowadays because bad ones get slated on the net. There are ones with more inputs, outputs but few have demonstrable quality differences. X MUST be better because it supports 192Kz sampling, or Y is better because it can shave 2ms off the latency are just drifting in subjectivity - as in they MUST be better because the spec says so. Record the top note on a good quality piano. Shave off all above ten K in your eq and see if you can hear the difference. We see reviews now where anything less than 192 is stated as poor quality because the specs say so!

13. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I've never personally heard problems with either FR or Presonus budget models - having encountered them many times in my travels as a home studio consultant ...I've come across quite a few, but I suppose it's entirely possible that a lemon slips through now and then. They're all built on an assembly line, so human error factor is at play.
    I would suggest to the OP that he try the Behringer before he buys anything else. It will
    Probably work just fine for what he is doing. To see ( hear) a big difference, you'd have to really step up and spend a lot more money on something like a Grace, or an ISA, and that's if the OP has the right monitors in place and the right room - not to mention the experience in critical listening - to be able to tell the difference. I mean no offense by that statement. Lots of hobbyists and novices have a hard time hearing the nuances that hi level preamps can provide. That kind of critical Listening comes with time and experience. OTOH you may indeed be able to tell the differen(es) immediate....you won't know that until you compare devices. You can always start with the Behringer and then step up to another level as experience, requirements and budgets determine.
    FWIW
    -d

14. miyaru

miyaru Active Member

I vote for a Focusrite Scarlett. They are seriously better than a Behringer with all respect for Ulli. Sometimes you find these starter packs from Focusrite with a Mic and Cans included. These are a great steal.

kmetal likes this.
  15. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    This is a bit of an older thread, but I agree with you miyaru. I recently snagged a Scarlett solo interface for a netbook computer I had for web surfing. I am happy w the quality and for $85 it doesn't get any cheaper. Scarlett also includes a useful 'lite' version of the Tsar reverb which is pretty cool.

One thing I like about the new gen Scarlett's is they're drivers allow for crazy low buffer sizes, which is useful if your computer is up to the task. I think I had the option of going as low as 8 or 16 samples in Samplitude pro x3.