Recording Vocals & Guitar

Discussion in 'Vocalists' started by richard.conrad, May 29, 2005.

1. richard.conrad

richard.conrad Active Member

Hey Folks,

just wanted to get some recommendations on recording a singer/songwriter that wants to lay down guitar and vocals live off the floor. Bleed is a given, but does anyone have any tips/tricks that have yielded good results in the past?

Richard Conrad

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Don't worry about the bleed, the combination of both mics will, or should sound real nice.
    I get some great results by putting 1 mic in front of the guitar (or the amp).
    And or course 1 mic for vocals. Now try putting 1 more mic out front to catch a little of both, about 5 to 6 feet away from the guitarist, sometimes as close as 3 feet works too.
    I find that the mic that gets both, is alot of the time REALLY nice. And is the best track alot of the times.
    Sometimes I use 2 mic's out front and listen back at mixdown and use the best of the two.
    But 3 mic's should make it sound pretty nice. IMO
    Lastly it wouldn't hurt to use some sort of direct box on the guitar.
    Making it a total of 4 tracks

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Just be careful with the phase anomolies ... check the tracks in mono to be sure nothing cancels out ...

4. McPhaul

McPhaul Guest

If you have a pair of figure 8 mics you can set up where the focus of one is vocal and the other is guitar. Set the mic where the nulls pick very little of the unwanted signal. I have done this a few times with good results.

Thanks
    Will