Recording with a digital piano

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by Jakers, Sep 24, 2011.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm very new to recording, and I wanted to start making piano videos for my youtube channel.

I have a Roland digital piano (HP-3E-PE) and very soon I am getting a new computer with an internal soundcard,as my laptop doesn't have one.

Would it be suitable to record these piano videos from my Roland, using a Midi to Usb cable to my computer, and record it in Fruity Loops Studio 9?
    I would be recording my hands from a birds eye view and syncing the clips in Sony Vegas Pro 10.0

It's just, if this won't work, then I need to start looking for different ways to record.

Thanks so much,

Jake.

2. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

Instead of popping for a whole new computer just for an "internal soundcard" that will sound lousy, maybe you should save yourself some money and just buy a relatively inexpensive USB interface for the laptop...providing the laptop is up-to-date enough?
    You don't buy a new computer for recording just for its inferior onboard soundcard.

Kapt.Krunch

3. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

Sorry I was a bit unclear. I'm not just getting a new computer to record piano, and it's all ordered so I don't have a choice now:)

4. Tungstengruvsten

Tungstengruvsten Active Member

I dont' think the MIDI>USB would transmit audio, just MIDI information - you want to use the audio outputs of the piano to the input on the soundcard. Even if it's a cheap soundcard, you are recording at line-level so it shouldn't be an issue.

5. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

The soundcard I would need for the audio would be located in a computer right? Or would I need to buy an external soundcard. The outputs on my piano are: Midi (Out/In) and Stereo (R/L). Would you know what cable I would need?

Thanks so much:)

6. Tungstengruvsten

What is the line-in on the soundcard? 1/8" stereo? Like an iPod headphone jack?

If so, and the keyboard has normal 1/4" left/right outputs you would need a cable like this:
    Pro Co IPMB2Q-5 | Sweetwater.com

7. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

I'm not sure about the soundcard inputs currently, but thanks very much for that link - the piano outputs look just right for that cable. :)
    Just to make sure, I would have a soundcard in my new computer probably, right? Sorry I'm not very good with these technical things :( but I'm learning
    Then I would just plug the other side of the cable into my computers line-in input?

Thanks again, you're a great help.

8. Tungstengruvsten

if its a desktop computer most likely it will have a soundcard built in - 3 colour coded plugs, blue for line-in(use this one) red for 1/8" mic in and green for 1/8" line out - headphones or computer speakers plug in here.

9. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

Alright so I need to get this cable, plug the two into the piano stereo (L/R) output, and the other side of the cable into the blue line-in plug.

Thanks so much for this, you've been a huge help :)

10. Jakers

Jakers Active Member

Could I use this cable as an alternative? Sweetwater charges $50 for shipping to the UK :(

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed