1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Recording with a USB mic

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Vez11, Nov 16, 2008.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Vez11

Vez11 Guest

What's everyones opinion on recording with a USB mic? I'm looking to purchase the Blue Snowball USB mic. Just wondering if anyone had any feedback, sound quality, stuff like that.

2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

When you buy a USB microphone you are combining the A to D with the Microphone. Even though both are mature technology, I don't know anyone that does both well. It also limits the use of the A to D and the microphone. The A to D can only be used for that microphone. From a usage standpoint, this limit part of your investment that could have been more widely utilized. The microphone can't ever be used with a pre amp.

The only gain is ease of use. However they are not that much easier than using any XLR microphone and a decent interface.

3. Vez11

Vez11 Guest

What do you mean by A to D?

4. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

A to D = Analog to Digital.

5. majormusic

majormusic Active Member

That blue mic is perfect for vocals. NOT for instruments.

6. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Mr. MM. While I appreciate you wanting to feed so many this time of the year with spam, I throughly do not like spam with my reading.

I also do not think usb qualifies as an input area for anything other then a mouse or digital-to-digital transfer. Right, it is my opinion but other then an advertising campaign or two, I haven't been swayed as of yet.

So it is with much interest that I ask this question. When you say "perfect for vocals" based on what criteria is this presented? I refuse to "google it" so maybe you can forgive a older guy for being so, what is it that I am, lacking in trust?

Enjoy your Holidays

7. Just a quick point but if you actually need a USB input then you can now get a device called a Micport that you can plug into any microphone and turn it into a USB mic. I have tried one and it worked very well but i dont know how much they are.

all the best

John

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed