1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

requirements for digital audio/video project - noobie

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by jacketkung, Jun 6, 2006.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. jacketkung

jacketkung Guest

Hello.

I am seeing if it is feasible to do my own hi-quality video demo of me playing acoustic drums for distribution on the web. I would like it to be decent quality audio and video.

I am on a budget, so the less equipment i have to procure the better. I am looking to hire analog equipment. I have a laptop computer with at least 10-15Gb free and a USB2.0 and firewire/ilink.ieee1394 interfaces.
    I have a very basic understanding of audio/video.

I was wondering if this is the wrong forum, if you can suggest any links that would be suitable.

Otherwise if you could help I would be greatly appreciated!

I am assuming i will require the following basic components:

-laptop computer
    -digicamcorder (w/usb or firewire interface, mic input)
    -mics (x1 bass, x1 snare, x2 toms, x2 overheads) powered pref.
    -8 track mixer
    -leads
    -filters/ effects processors (optional)

mikes --> mixer --> (effects processor) --> digicamcorder --> laptop

I am looking at the optimum component mix, optimum based on cost
    and feasibility.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks.

2. The first thing to do is get a better soundcard - laptop audio sucks for music recording.

You could get a USB or firewire device but personally I use an Echo Indigo I/O PCMCIA card - superb but can only record through one input at a time. USB devices tend to suffer more from latency issues but are still way better than onboard laptop audio.

You need more HD space than 15 GB to do anything meaningful - either clear files/backup or better still, get an external HDD. Video files are also HUGE and will eat up HD space real fast.

You also need a min of 512 MB and pref 1GB or more to get reasonable performance/extra track capability and preferably a fast processor.

You also need the appropriate software. Good Luck.