Ribbon mic suggestion

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by WRX07, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. WRX07

    WRX07 Guest

  2. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    Try them and make an educated decision... or get an AEA R-84 and put off making the decision you outlined all together.
  3. WRX07

    WRX07 Guest

    I think that's what I'm going to have to do. No stores nearby sell them, so i will have to order one online and return it if I dont like the sound.

    Let me narrow my question down a bit(even though the answers will be subjective since everyone has different opinions). Which mic would you pick for close-micing a guitar amp or cabinet?
  4. Davedog

    Davedog Distinguished Member

    Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I have not heard the AEA though I do hear from those I would trust that they are quite good....I havent heard the Coles on a cabinet only as overheads where they were superb...I have heard the Royer both as a guitar cab mic and the Stereo as an overhead which had the BEST cymbal translation I've ever heard...It would seem all will do the part well as well as other uses.
  5. JeffreyMajeau

    JeffreyMajeau Active Member

    Sep 5, 2000
    The R84 sounds fantastic.

    Haven't tried it on GTR, though. I've been very pleased with the Royer R121 on a Fender Blues Junior. I was careful to turn the mic so that it was about 45 degrees off axis and about 18" from the amp, which was up on a stand. Sounded fabulous. May not be the sound you're looking for. Probably hard to get a ribbon to sound shitty, though.

    I've heard that the Nady ribbon is a good choice on the cheap end. Haven't tried it, but at that price, you could find SOME use for it, even if it's a doorstop...
  6. StevenGurg

    StevenGurg Guest

    I have an AEA R84DJV which is a voiceover version of the R84. I love it on voice and guitar. As with many other ribbon mics, the output is low and it needs more gain than a condenser mic. But I really like what my R84DJV can do with guitar and voice. I think you will be very happy with the R84. Fletcher sells AEA, Coles, and Royers, and his recommendation for the R84 will solve your dilemma.
  7. LittleDogAudio

    LittleDogAudio Active Member

    Sep 24, 2004
    For "loud" guitar, I would look at the Royer. The R84 can sometimes break up if slammed right into the throat of a screaming amp. the Royer can take it all day long.

  8. David French

    David French Well-Known Member

    Jun 19, 2002
    just don't turn it around backwards.
  9. WRX07

    WRX07 Guest

    I've heard that the backside of the Royer can sometimes yield good results if used a few feet away. Sounds more condenser-ish. Does the R-121 require phantom power or will it fry the ribbon?
  10. FifthCircle

    FifthCircle Well-Known Member

    Feb 12, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Home Page:
    Back side of the royer is definitely brighter... If you use it on high SPL sources, you should probably turn it off axis of the source.

    The R122 is their mono ribbon that uses phantom power. The R121 is like any other ribbon- have a short and give it phantom and you're history.

  11. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    I've never noticed the R-84 nor the Coles 4038 breaking up in front of a screaming amp... and yes the Royer can take it all day long, but the the R-84, at least in my experience, is more robust than is often assumed.

Share This Page