RNC Compressor

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by Doublehelix, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I know that the RNC compressor from FMC has a huge (almost) cult following, and is considered "the steal" of the industry.

Since it is an "unbalanced" piece of gear, I am concerned about using it in my setup. My plan is to use it with my Presonus preamp, which does not have inserts. I will take an "out" from the Presonus into an "in" on the RNC, then an "out" from the RNC into my Echo Layla.

Is this a feasible way to use this device without inserts, especially unbalanced, or should I just use the lower quality mic pres on my mixer and use the RNC in the inserts?

Thanks!

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

DH,
    There are a couple of different ways to approach this...fab some custom cables with the cold side tied to ground on one end (this being the unbalanced end), or if the Presonus has 1/4" outs, just plugging an unbalanced cable in to the Presonus outs, running it to the RNC, then run a balanced 1/4" out of the RNC to a balanced input. If your using a 1/4" balanced patch bay just using an unbalanced patch cord from the Presonus to the RNC will work. Run a balanced patch cord from the RNC to a balanced input. Or you can hook it up unbalanced, it wont hurt anything, you may notice a loss of signal strength. ........ Fats

3. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to put this in the "Micing, Tracking, Mixing Forum", not the mastering forum! No wonder I couldn't find it! I thought it got lost somehow, or I didn't hit the "post now" button or something...sorry :w:

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

DH,
    If you use 2 conductor connectors on the end that is unbalanced and 3 conductor connectors on the balanced end, that should serve to identify the cables well into the future. I have a pair of thesre I have had for 10 years + and I always know what they are.
    .......... Fats