1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

rock instrumental mix feedback wanted...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by strings4v, Nov 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. strings4v

strings4v Active Member

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The drums sound plastic and thin.. maybe too far in the mix or lack ambiance..
    Electric guitars are very nice and bass too..

I bet you are a guitar player aren't you? many put the drums too far in the mix... not want to generalise ;)

3. strings4v

strings4v Active Member

Hi, thank you for your feedback! Do you think it's the EQ thing or just the level balance?

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I think it's a combinaison, maybe a bit more air, a bit more room slower attack on the compresion..The levels are near ok... I just feel it's behind and for the style, it should not. They should sound majestic like the rest of the band ;)
    BTW the HH is present enough, it's mostly the snare and bass drum and toms that need a bit more finess.
    You should know that when the mastering phase comes, guitars often jump up in presence and drums mostly do the opposit.
    Oh, and don't mix at high volumes all the time, everything sounds better when loud.

In the end, you don't have to take my word as cash.. make some test mixes and listen to different systems and make your own decision..

strings4v likes this.
  5. strings4v

strings4v Active Member

All golden stuff. Especially on the comment on mastering... I did not know that at all as it's my very first record- thanks so much!
    I'll try things you've mentioned. I did feel like the drums were a bit lacking. I might try and blend in some samples.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed