Royer PS-101 Pop Filter

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by audiokid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Just compared the Royer PS-101 Pop Filter to my "Popper Stopper " and I like it a lot. Its made of steel so its obviously going to last forever compared to my nylon style with a run starting. It seems to be slightly clearer as well so I definitely recommend this. It is a bit heavier on a boom so that is something to take into consideration.

What other pop filters do you use?

2. izman

izman Active Member

I use 6" pop shield by AVSL its not the best but it does a great job.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I used to make my own, but the very few times I have needed them in the past few years, I've used the AKG screens that came with my 414's. I think personally, I like a metal screen better than nylon at this point.

4. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    During a little celebration of the 20th anniversary of my studio I received this nice gift from 2 colleagues:

http://www.thomann.de/de/pauly_pr120t30.htm

It is an excellent popfilter with a very good gooseneck and really kills any plops and wind....
    Better then any other I have ever tried, but frankly, I had never spend as much cash on such a thing....
    I hope, it lasts to the 40th, now.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    ooh, those are expensive Big K. It looks to be nylon sheer similar to the popper stopper. Not sure I like how it bolts between the clip and goose neck because:
    The extreme C bend in the goose neck may droop or fall into an unforgiving memory overtime making it harder to use with various mics and sizes.

6. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    A lot of cash, very true...
    But absolutely well build. I use it all the time and it does not show any sign of wear & tear and it is way more transparent to sound.
    The goose neck is much better adjustable then any of the other maybe 5 goose necks I have.
    If you ever have worked with the Neumann pop filter... it is a touch better in any aspect. If this is worth the extra 60 Euro.. Hmmm...
    But how could I complain, ..it was a present... and something I enjoy to handle every day...

Thanks, Gary & Martin..if you read this...

7. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

I use the same Royer as you, and I have a Rode metal shield and then a ton of the cheap nylon ones. I'll usually use a nylon plus the Royer for vocals on the R-121 which I am liking more and more.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.