1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Scarlet 18i20 and new Macbook Pro 16" connections?

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by rainsong23, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

computer manufacturers and software developers have a vested interest in keeping the consumer in a constant cycle of updating.

on the other hand audio producers need stability and long life in their tools. it is not uncommon to revisit a project even 10 or 15 years after it was initially produced.

aside from the inconvenience of having to futz around with sh*t like buffer settings and erroneous applications running in the background and all the other NONSENSE computers bring to the table, i dislike computers and software solution for just this reason.

anything that a computer can do that can't be done with tape recorders and consoles is imo BS.

the more musicians live with capabilities (like auto tune or the ability to put off decision making) the more they allow it to erode their talent. there' kids out there making records who can't play live! the sharp ones come to realize those capabilities are more hindrance than benefit to producing good records, as many of us have learned. keep it simple stupid.

as long as you have a good song and you can play or sing you don't need that sh*t. if you need it, you have no business recording ... that's it!

kmetal likes this.
  2. cyrano

cyrano Active Member

Core audio and Macos are intertwined. Of course they are. It's not like you would install ASIO on linux, is it?

If you want a general purpose audio setup, get a Raspberry Pi 4, run Reaper on Raspbian. An awful lot of stuff just works out of the box. ALSA with Jack and a class compliant interface (RME Digiface USB?) and go.

I'm currently testing Lubuntu, on an old Dell laptop with 2 GB ram. Looks good. You could also try Ubuntu Studio, which is an audio centric distro. The Dell is free (nobody wants to use it) and has Firewire. Lubuntu even reads HFS+ disks these days, as I found out when I plugged in the wrong disk :D

I'm building an audio router, with VOIP, WebRTC and up to 32 analog IO.

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    This stuff sounds exciting it would be cool if you started a thread about it.

Will the audio router do realtime multitracking over the web?

4. cyrano

cyrano Active Member

Stick your head out of the door, some time this century :D

I've got a friend who's pulling 256 inputs from five studio's. One of these is 2 km from the rest. Ever try routing that to a dozen recorders, three consoles and a few dozen stereo preview mixes? His previous console is for sale. 104 channels :D

What I'm doing, is for theatre. Another kind of "studio". More like broadcast. One day, we need audio from a phone conversation. Another day, the source consists of 12 hanging mics for a choir. In between, acrobatic dancers need a head-mic cause they're singing too while occasionally beating a drum...

5. Kurt Foster

why would i want to do that? :LOL:

why are they doing that?

i'll admit a tape recorder would probably be a bit limited for things like modern TV or film but for music it's all i would ever need. i can make records on 8 tracks.

it doesn't really have to be analog tape. it could be a stand alone digital recorder and i'm fine with that. what i meant was too many tracks and too many decisions postponed along with all the extra stuff like grid alignment and auto tune, fifty thousand plugs that every else has too and it's all starting to sound same o same o too me especially if you distill things down to genre'. to boot people are actually forgetting how to play music.

6. cyrano

cyrano Active Member

We used to have a console and a recorder. That was fine. Smaller groups, or individual musicians still can make music like that. I don't often use more than eight inputs either.

But he's got sources from five theaters. Could be there are only 2 mics, or 56 mics, per theater. And these need to be channelled to a recorder, a console or to an external destination, like a radio station. They used to have 3 big patch rooms. One for lighting, one for video and one for audio. Such a system is constantly in need of service and it was very limited in outside connections. All these are now controlled and monitored from one office and can be sent all over the world, while remaining in sync. Speed of operation is up, cost is down.

I felt DAW projects of a hundred or more channels were insane too. Until I got to install a studio that handles audio for movies. A musician who composes music for movies, can easily have several hundreds of tracks in one project. They need to change entire groups of VSTi's and recorded tracks at the push of a button when the producer decides he needs more oomph... or something. Not really home recording, or even your average studio, but hey...

And when we had less gear, we needed to use what we had. We had time to learn. Now we have an unlimited number of plugins, but no time to learn, it seems. Very hard to develop your own style. Especially if you expect to learn from a youtube vid made by someone who hasn't tried it before either.

Digital is either black nor white. It's as grey as analog. We need to hear potential colour.

kmetal, Makzimia and Kurt Foster like this.
  7. Kurt Foster

that's one approach to a task. Sergio Leone shot all his movies to soundtracks that were scored and recorded before filming and then played back on set while they shot. there are few movie soundtracks that will live as long as "Good Bad and the Ugly" not only in composition but also in dynamic impact as a recording so i think it's fair to question if one way or the other is better? do we really need all this digital capability or can it be as much of a hindrance as it is an enabler?

8. cyrano

cyrano Active Member

Do we really need cars?

Kurt Foster likes this.
  9. Kurt Foster

electric ones. :ROFLMAO:

10. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

I make music and perform because it’s part of my soul. When I hear great music it makes me cry and ache in my heart. I’m thankful for those who also feel the same and can share it however it is made :).

Tony

kmetal and Kurt Foster like this.