seb thorax

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by BryanB, Jan 21, 2005.

1. BryanB

BryanB Guest

I was woundering if anyone could explain to me the difference between a channel strip and a mic pre? Is the thorax the same as the vmp 1000 with the addition of the eq and compessor or is it something to add on to a mic pre? Sorry if this is a stupid question I tried to find more info by using the search but it wasnt working.

2. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

Hi BryanB !

A channel strip usually entails a mic pre and E.Q and usually some sort of compressor.... a three in one ...
    Because of the close proximity of the circuitry and the fact that cables aren't needed to interface the three types of units ( mic pre/EQ/compressor),, channel strips often offer better performance than three dedicated units.
    Yes , the THORAX is a mic pre as well.
    It has over 60db of gain , with variable colour control., and a three way PAD.The THORAX mic pre circuit is an extrapalated VMP circuit .... slightly ' Hot Rodded ' to perform a wider range of functions ...
    The EQ section is Passive RC with preselected ' oddball ' frequencies to compliment your exsisting gear.... microphones , digital recording software .... . The bands are high up or low down ... with the Pad selection driving the bottom mids .....
    Compression is 'Optical ' with Attack and Release constants variable over three ranges via the 'A/D factor ' switch.
    Metering options include : preamp , main output and gain reduction.
    All gain make up is Valve. All circuitry is Class A discrete.

8)

3. BryanB

BryanB Guest

Thanks alot sir, I appreiciate your reply and am considering buying one. I have one more question for you if you dont mind, do you think that the rode k2 would go well with the thorax for rap, r&b, and maybe even some choir's. I am also considering the tlm103 along with the c414 Tll.

4. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

Yes that's why we've designed it with a few more options at the very front end.
    The PAD and Colour control interact to provide a wide range of dynamic structures that are designed to match up to all varieties of mics.

8)

5. BryanB

BryanB Guest

thanks for help seb.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed