Sebatron vmp4000e

D

Doc@BeefyTreats.com

Steve,
Is that also called "Possession of a preamp with intent to distribute"? :D Doc

I

iflyinmymind

Let me say first off that I have never heard the preamp except on the Kurts sound bites. So I don't know how good they sound, but I do agree with J. Slator when he says:

[You obviously didn't read the HC thread.
Their marketing practices involve planting
people on every webboard on the planet to
"rave" about their pre's in a very peculiar
fashion. The names Bowsic posted are
some of the aliases. If you think that's
paranoia, try actually reading the posts. It's
actually very obvious.]

I was shopping for my first professional preamps and searched every forum up and down for information. I researched for 8 months or more.

When I found the posts raving about Sebatron, I looked at there site, and all the people who recommended it on his site, and then searched all the forums again and again.

It was obvious that the people posting were PUSHING the preamp! Some had no contact emails, and almost all of them were "New" members in which all of there first posts were stating how GREAT these preamps are, and that everyone should get one because they don't know what they are missing.

I instead decided to buy a used Vintech 1272 and a RNP. Time will tell how good the Sebatron gear is, but I know the Vintech had been "tested". They are respected and do not have questionable marketing practices.

Oneday I might very well purchase one of these preamps, and it might be a very good deal. For right now I will wait to see if these preamps really are a good deal, because whats the resale value on a "noname" preamp that costs 1500.

Kurt Foster

I am getting ready to do a whole new set of comparisons.
JLM is sending a TMP8, 8 channel mic pre and I am pretty sure I will be getting some things from Studio Projects and Audix. Perhaps I will use an SP mic on some of the comparisons. Which Studio Projects mic would all of you prefer to hear?

I will be including the Speck 5.0, Millennia Origin, Neve 9098, Sebatron vmp-4000, JLM, Studio Projects (maybe?) and the good ol’ Mackie! I will try to do some acoustic guitar and bass tracks and I have a piece in mind that is 16 bars instead of 8 as some said the last snippet was too short. So let me know what Studio Projects mic you want me to use on this next round of mic pre comparisons…

S

Sanity Inn

Just want to share that i'm now a proud owner of a Sebatron VMP2000e VU, 2 channel VU mic pre,

Can't wait to test her out, she just got here today :) )

Thanks for the nice work Sebatron...

I'll keep ya'll posted

Sanity Inn

" Logic rules, emotion wins"

Kurt Foster

Sanity Inn,
Thanks for keeping us posted.. Now everyone knows if they order one it will arrive.

I can hardly wait for you to try it out and give us your impressions. I was particularly impressed with how my vmp-4000 made my Neumann U87Ai sound.. I look forward to hearing what you think. I hope that soon, enough people will have tried these pres and reported enough favorable impressions that it will validate that my evaluations were correct! Then all the nay sayers will finally have to shut up!

Talk about a conspiracy! I have noticed that most of the detractors of the Sebatron pres are followers (groupies) of a certain person. I think this individual has a hate on for the Sebatron.

Tekker

Originally posted by Kurt Foster:
I am getting ready to do a whole new set of comparisons.
JLM is sending a TMP8, 8 channel mic pre and I am pretty sure I will be getting some things from Studio Projects and Audix. Perhaps I will use an SP mic on some of the comparisons. Which Studio Projects mic would all of you prefer to hear?

I will be including the Speck 5.0, Millennia Origin, Neve 9098, Sebatron vmp-4000, JLM, Studio Projects (maybe?) and the good ol’ Mackie! I will try to do some acoustic guitar and bass tracks and I have a piece in mind that is 16 bars instead of 8 as some said the last snippet was too short. So let me know what Studio Projects mic you want me to use on this next round of mic pre comparisons…
Awesome!! Can't wait to hear it! :cool:

-tkr

J

jslator

I hope that soon, enough people will have tried these pres and reported enough favorable impressions that it will validate that my evaluations were correct! Then all the nay sayers will finally have to shut up!
Kurt,

Nobody is "naysaying" the product, they are "naysaying" Sebatron's marketing practices. No matter how good the product is, it doesn't change what I might feel about their marketing practices. Conversely, no matter what I may feel about their marketing practices, it will not in any way whatsoever cloud my opinion of their product. I assure you of that.

I'm looking forward to your tests. If you have the time, it would be nice if you could include a dynamic mic and maybe even a ribbon in the tests. Often those are the most demanding sources for a pre.

J

jslator

I have noticed that most of the detractors of the Sebatron pres are followers (groupies) of a certain person.
Are you referring to me? :D

Bowisc

Originally posted by Sanity Inn:
Just want to share that i'm now a proud owner of a Sebatron VMP2000e VU, 2 channel VU mic pre,

I'll keep ya'll posted

Sanity Inn

Congrats! I was going to get the 2000e-VU as well but decided on the 4000e. Mine is almost done and should be in route in a few days.

Bowisc

J

jumo

Originally posted by Bowisc:

I'll keep ya'll posted

Sanity Inn

Congrats! I was going to get the 2000e-VU as well but decided on the 4000e. Mine is almost done and should be in route in a few days.

Bowisc

J

jumo

ooops! what i really wanted to say to bowsic and sanity inn was please tell us about how you get on with Sebatron.I,m thinking of trying this out along with the great river mnv and the phoenix drs1.cheers.

S

Sanity Inn

Why I bought my Sebatron product.

Review, price/budget, and value

Review: After dreaming about another pre amp for the past year(which i will still get one day), I too stumbled upon the Sebatron brand and this forum.

After reading Kurts review on this and his other reviews ( many times to absorb all points)I was to say the least , frantic. How could this 1500 dollar 4 channel pre compare to the ones I've read and heard about?
Well after a few phone calls and e-mails , some to Wayne Gardner( with a good reputation in industry) I was given some of the reasons.

Although some people may believe that Kurt's review of the Sebatron mic pre may be sensationalized, I tend to diagree. First, i can't imagine the man fluffing a 1500 dollar unit for browny points, a 10 grand unit , i could see , but even then, I don't believe this is the type of guy Kurt is.

Another basis for accepting Kurts philosaphy in his review is this, i had asked Kurt if he ever reviewd or plan to review D.W Fearn mic pre ( that's the one i was wanting) Kurt said he had approacehed Doug on this. I too had asked Doug if Kurt could review his gear, with Doug responding that it had been reviewed to death, and with the orders going there was no need for extra validation. Kurt had sent Doug some links to his reviews shortly aftewards. I believe after Doug read Kurt's reviews, he contacted Kurt, and was more then happy to provide what he could based on Kurt's genuine, honest down to earth approach.

I understand that all readers are not generally privy to this type of background info, ,but if you dig enough, you will validate what you need to if you're happy with the info you find .

Actually if you read the bottom of Kurt's review well, you can see that the " hype" that was on the forum was validated, not only in performance, but bang for buck,, even stating it has more bang then buck.

As far as i'm concerned, the buck stopped when Kurt reviewed the product,( well one buck for MY NEEDS anyway) regardless of what is typed in forums. Keep in mind, the product is the comon denominator here, the test are, set up, chain, users expectations are the variable, and with this you will receive varying opinions.

5 % of the world lead, some not well, 95% follow, some blindly

Price / budget:

Price was certainly an issue aswell in this decision, one because i'm broke lol, and this is my 1st piece of real gear when it comes to mic pres, so I can't give you any comparisons 1st hand, but more on that to follow.
I believe the term " project " box was used here, ( btw, i don't intend to fish for quotes to paste, hope i get the just ok on this) . Well project box it ain't, but project pricing, ya, pretty darn close,, It's interesting how some people will spend big bucks on a name brand that gets bad reviews, but not cheap bucks on no name with good reviews, hmmmm , this is part of reading, digesting and homework I guess. When we consider the brands that Sebatron is beeing compared to, how can we go wrong,
I see it this way,... say you have a band, and some one says " hey, you sound like so N so" in my view this is a good thing to be compared to an established band, cept for maybe the signature sound part lol, but do you think you could get paid the same for a venue? probably not, but eventually if enough people liked you, why not.

Value:

This is the way I see the value, once we get passed the reviews and comparisons and we're happy with the decision to buy one, I really can't see loosing money on this,, from a business percpective, and i'm in it, this product will have no choice but to go up in price. part of the distribution chain once it's established,,, so with the growing numbers of sales,so too will the growing number of reviews follow,

and I think we all know what supply and demand can do to price.

I hope i've helped settle some things, and not stirred others,

On a side note, part of my reviewing this product was also the builder of the product, Sebatron is successful in music,and production aswell, and I can't see how he wouldn't put as much passion and thought and heart into his product , just like his music, after all, it has his name on it.

the opinions of this station where just that , my opinions, in no way did I intent to instill any bad feelings, if i have used names out of context , I apologies

oh ya ,typos and dislecsia exempt lol

Sanity Inn

J

jslator

I hope i've helped settle some things...
Not really. I'd be much more interested in your opinions of how it sounds, what you find it works on, how it interacts with various mic's, and maybe hearing some clips if you're so inclined. Expressions of your faith in Kurt's opinion aren't very important to me. I've already read Kurt's opinion. Now, I'd like to read yours (once you've had a chance to try it out, that is).

S

Sanity Inn

My post was about my reason for buying this, if you read well, a concept i tried to instill in my post , you'll see i typed the following. As I stated , I am not a full geared studio.

" :: so I can't give you any comparisons 1st hand, but more on that to follow. ""

I have meetings with a few ppl here in Canada, and they have the right gear to campare to, it will come.

Sanity Inn

Bowisc

J, ma man...

FWIW,

I will be making a trip to MA (July), and Fletcher's cool about hanging with my 4000e for a few hours. His opinion may or may not mean something to everyone, but it's a good excuse to make the 4 hour trip there.

Bowisc

G

GreenLawns

Bowisc, have you gotten yours yet? Please post impressions when you do. I'm leaning towards the RNP right now, as there is so little solid info on the Seba. It does look promising though. I have a lot of free time this summer to record, and I don't want to wait 3-6 weeks unless it would be super worth it. Let me know how you think it hold up next to RNP or Great River NV too.

D

Doc@BeefyTreats.com

Greenlawns,
What's wrong with owning the RNP and the Sebatron? One super clean with excellent high detail (RNP), one with some tube (although I understand the Sebatron is more of a clean sounding tube pre). I have the RNP and love it, but would go crazy if I didn't have a Universal Audio 2-610 sitting in the rack. The Sebatron/RNP combo isn't going to break the bank either. Damn, maybe I should resign and go to Gearslutz. Doc

G

GreenLawns

I'm very low on funds and need to get some proper monitors too (looking at Yorkville and Tannoy... and yes, I guess this means I must hang out at Harmony Central : ) I'd really love to get both pres... there is nowhere around here to listen to anything, sometimes I gets a little maddening. Any help you could provide would be wonderful. RNC, Sebatron... soon I will decide.