Setting Up Publishing

Discussion in 'Publishing / Marketing' started by BigTrey, Aug 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Home Page:
    Hey RO'ers, I need some help here. I've already done a search of the forums and I'm not getting the info I am looking for, but I am a little confused. I am looking to set up my indie label with either ASCAP or BMI to act as my publisher for the music I produce for my artists and myself as a writer, since I occassionally work on my own music as well. I know that these two agencies aren't publisher, but only make sure that you are able to collect your mechanicals, my question is simple "Can I use my label to act as "publisher" when registering, and then register myself with the same agency (ASCAP/BMI)? I have been reading Passman's book (great book by the way), but I am still a litle confused about the subject. Please offer any advice that you can, and thanks in advance.

BigTrey

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

You will probably want to set up your publishing company as a separate entity from your label with a separate set of books. Try Eric Beall's book on setting up a publishing company.

3. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Or........you can set your publishing company up as a subsidiary of your label.

4. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks fellas, I thought about that so I applied for another employer id number, so that I can set up the publishing end of my label. I appreciate it.