Shure SM58 response problem

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by mark_van_j, Jan 27, 2011.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

So it seems we have a couple of issues with some of our 58s. They're a couple of years old, and have been used on hundreds of shows. Lately we've had problems getting a good sound out of them and problems with gain before feedback. So I decided to AB them and take some measurements. Here's what I found:

av3246.jpg

(Expired Link Removed)

Unfortunately, I don't have a "working" 58 with me to compare, but seeing the results, I'll get one or two tomorrow for comparison. Until then, I'm open to suggestions as to which one is OK. :)

2. TimOBrien

TimOBrien Active Member

Stuff DOES wear out especially when being bashed into and spit into for years.....

3. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

Definitely. It's ironic though that just last week we blew a 57, and another 57 got smashed a month or two ago. Now these. :biggrin:

Hey, at least they lasted more than 10 shows, unlike my OM7. :tongue:

4. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely these are the real McCoys? You are aware of Chinese knockoffs, aren't you?

5. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

Oh yes! Aren't we all! :cool: No, these were purchased officially, at normal price. And worked great so far. I think they've just had they're run. I'll try to get a hold of some brand new ones tomorrow and do a comparison, if nothing else, just out of curiosity. :biggrin:

6. moresound

moresound Active Member

Are you subjecting these microphones to extreme cold then bringing them right into a venue?

7. ACIDMAN

ACIDMAN Active Member

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Samson Q7 ? I did 8 blind A-B tests with six fussy musos and two studio owners over a period of three to four weeks with a Q7 and a 58.

Wait for it..........................7 out of 8 people thought the Q7 was the 58 hmmmmm!

Just a thought ! And they're less than half the price of a 58 and better FB rejection too !

The 58 hasn't really changed much in over 30 years and with technology moving so fast now it was just a matter of time before I could get 58 quality at half the price !

8. moresound

moresound Active Member

The Sennheiser hand held microphones (e835 for example) aren't that bad either. In fact all of the e models are nice.

9. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

i agree. sm58s suck by todays standards. sure lots of people know them, but lots of people also know about hitler.

10. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I've been using a Heil PR20 lately for vocals. I always audition my mics whenever having somebody new over, but the Heil always wins out over the 58. Not sure I would be so willing to take it on the road as I would a 58 though...