SM81 vs AT4040 for Voice

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by bgavin, Aug 17, 2003.

1. bgavin

bgavin Guest

What are the pros/cons of the SM81 vs AT4040 specifically for voice?

The targer vocalists are young female and male rockers, older male blues and rock.

2. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I don´t think the SM81 would do fine for single kead vocals. Some guys do use it for capturing choir overheads.
    I would stick with an at4050.
    :)

3. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I guess I wasn't clear. My choices are the AT4040 or the SM81.

I'm leaning toward the AT4040.

4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Due to the size of its diaphragm the at4040 will be usable in many other situations. I got 3 and I do love them.
    Very nice purchase!

5. white swan

white swan Guest

I don't know anything about those specific mics, but it seems like a good part of the question is the issue of whether small diaphragm or large diaphragm mics are better on lead vocals. (I'm assuming the 4040 is large diaphrgm?)

I was taught there are so many factors in choosing a mic for a specific application: off-axis response, handling noise, degree of proximity effect, proneness to popping and sibilance, warmness of sound, clarity of sound, and so on.

I know there is a very famous thread somewhere that is about 100 pages long that discusses all these issues in great detail. Maybe someone could put up a link to it, as that would probably contain far more complete information than anyone could possibly post on their own.

Or is there some rule against posting off-site links here? Seems like I just saw someone else on another thread try to do that (Bear?) unsuccesfully. :confused:

[ August 17, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: white swan ]

6. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

While one rule is there are no rules...another is that small diaphram condensers generally do not make the best vocal mics.

7. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I have an opportunity to buy either for a very good price, so I'm inclined toward the AT4040 to use entirely as a vocal mic.

8. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd second that motion. I'm a user of AT products for almost a decade. My first AT mic was a 4033. Then I purchased a 3035 which I love so much. Audio Technica has a reputation for making pretty good mics. They are'nt your Neumann U87's or TLM93's , but they hold their own.

9. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I've noticed a substantial price reduction at ZZounds on AT mics.

However, I was able to get the AT4040 for $222, new in the box with papers, etc. There are other eBay dealers selling them new for $235, so I did OK, price-wise. This is still much better than the $300 charged by ZZounds.