Small headphone jack to XLR

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by Tangles, Mar 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tangles

Tangles Guest

Hey guys,

I work in a theatre (ok, ok, I'm a lighting boy :D ), and out of curiosity I was just wondering if it is possible to hook up standard stereo headphones with a boom mic (separate jacks for audio in and mic out) to the "cans" system.

I'm not exactly sure of the brand of "cans" we use, but I know that the "headset in" is XLR. I only know the basics of audio and how it all works, and obviously know that most Audio XLR is 3-pin, but how does this work for incoming and outgoing audio???

Sorry if this is the most stupidest question ever asked on these forums, but if I don't ask I'll never know!!

2. jahtao

jahtao Guest

Your info is kinda unclear, i'm not sure what you've got over there??? You can't plug a mic into headphones if thats what you are asking! I'm surprised to hear your headset in is XLR, are you sure?

Clarify?

3. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Member

A headphone with a mic attached to it is called a "Boomset"

I understand your question, as most "Boomsets" are sold with unterminated ends. (No connectors)
    There should be 2 cable sets coming out of it, the mic side will use the XLR, and the headphone side of it will use a 1/4" balanced plug.

Does that help???

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

some lighting belt box systems use 2 and some use 4 wire

I guess we need to know a little more about your set-up

I think all my headsets are 5 pin but as much as 7 pin for cameras in the past

5. CharlesDayton

CharlesDayton Active Member

I've seen RTS systems rigged with standard 3 pin xlr and 5 pin for the headsets. Is it an RTS backstage system, or a clear comm?

6. Tangles

Tangles Guest

Hey guys,

Sorry.... I had a closer look today and its actually 4-pin XLR. My bad!! I'm guessing that two pins would be for the headphones and two for the mic, but does anyone know which one's which??

I'm a bit hazy on the system, but it is a backstage comms system that runs in a loop like lighting DMX.

Probably doesn't help anyone but yeah, thanks for the help so far. I'll try and take a picture of it in the next few days.

7. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

A look at the web site or an email to the manufacturer of your, specific, headphone/mic set should give you all the answers you need(Pinouts/specs, etc.)...

TG

8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

it could be anything in there

you need to look inside the XL
    ... it could still be a left and right with a mic all on a single earth return but with a twin shielded cable
    ... all on 4 pins

does the system talk and listen at the same time
    or is it just one at a time ?

RTS vs Clearcom

and another talkback system popular a few years ago was Drake
    Drake is now in the hands of ClearCom as far as I know