snake question..

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by JohnnyCache, Jul 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyCache

JohnnyCache Guest

hey..
    im about to get a new mixer with [finally] the ability to properly mic a drum kit.. only problem is, the drum booth is not very close to the control room.. [30' - 35' away]

i need to pick up a snake so that i dont have to lay down 4-7 xlr cables to mic the drums..

many have recommended HOSA as a good quality affordable snake, but theyre longest snake [xlr to xlr] is 23'

Are there any quality issues i need to know about if i get two of them and connect them together?

thanks for the info!

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You're talking about a fixed installation with the cables routed through ducts in the walls, right? Don't use a stage snake, especially one that is too short so you have to join it, and if you were to go that route, I think I would use a make other than Hosa.

For a fixed installation, you would do better to get a wall-mounted studio box and run individual cables back to the control room. That way you get the length right and also could include a couple of returns for headphones without worrying about crosstalk and breakthrough.

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I have a simular problem. I found a fellow on ebay selling cheaper snakes. THe connectors are not neutrik, and I am sure the cable is not the highest quality, but I am sure your electrons will still get through.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Channel-50-Foot-XLR-SEND-SUB-SNAKE-CABLE-New-8x50_W0QQitemZ110147733425QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41461QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

4. JohnnyCache

JohnnyCache Guest

unfortunatly im renting the apt the studio is in.. so i cant do permament..

but i did notice sweetwater selling 50' xlr snakes made by ProCo.. are they any good?

5. Link555

define good? Don't tell me your looking for low oxgen copper wire .....

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

My experience is that Hosa means molded unrepairable plugs. Proco has better plugs with soldering I can inspect and repair if necessary. If you have the money, a custom snake is not really that much more than a prefab, but it seems like you probably need a 50' 8 channel XLR which is very standard.

7. JohnnyCache

JohnnyCache Guest

Bob- you recommend any brand for the standard 50'?

8. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Member

These people have a great reputation, hand made cables, and low prices.

I had at least 3 road managers recommend them.
    So I decide to try them out, I bought 2 50ft MIDI cables, they were under $50 each, star-quad, with metal connectors, all 5 pins sonnected, hand soldered.
    Check them out. No I dont work for them!!!

9. JohnnyCache

JohnnyCache Guest

who does?

10. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Member

Sorry my link didnt stick.

http://www.best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/index.aspx

11. Link555

wow look at marketing in action.....

12. JohnnyCache

JohnnyCache Guest

i guess ill go with proco

13. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Member

That's not fair, if you had major clients doing business with you, you would flaunt it too.
    My TV/Film credits get me my work, thats also marketing. :cool: