Sonar help

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by sorrowthief, Oct 15, 2003.

1. sorrowthief

sorrowthief Guest

Hi, I'm kinda new at recording so this may seem dumb. Anyways I am getting the new Sonar program and was wondering this... I want to record live drums possibly as much as 8 mics on them. What do I need to buy other than the sonar program to allow me to have complete control over every drum as if they were all seperate inputs. And caould you give me a list of some names if you would so I could do some research. Thanks a lot!

2. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

You'll need a means of recording 8 inputs simultenously, or you need to be willing to record one track at a time (how that works with drums though, I wouldn't know :d: )

SONAR can handle those multiple tracks at once with ease.

If you meant recording all those drums onto one track, then looking for a program that can seperate those back out into the individual drum tracks - sorry, no program can do that. Audio is just too complex for algorithms to seperate out what's already overlapping.

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Home Page:
    ST,

> What do I need to buy other than the sonar program to allow me to have complete control over every drum <

You need a sound card with eight or more inputs, plus a small mixer like the Mackie 1402 that can send each microphone input to a separate output.

See my recent article from EQ magazine about connecting a mixer to a computer. It's first in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan