Sony PCM-M10 phantom power question .

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by oreo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. oreo

oreo Active Member

Hi all , first question here !!! Nice to find this place ...
    I have a pair of CA-14 mics , 1 card , 1 omni mics to go with my sony PCM-M10 .
    Im wondering if the built in phantom power is enough for either pair of mics for around 2 hours .?
    A short test sounded great with the omnis . I plan on recording a guitar player only at a local theater .
    I have a battery box , pre-amp in one but why use it if it's not needed . This is my 1st recording using my new sony
    that i just got .
    Any advise will be great and very appreciated . Thanks all , looking forward to being a member here .

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I don't think you are talking about " phantom power" in the professional sense of a 48V source. The CA-14s appear to need what is loosely called "plug-in power" of around 5V. It could well be that the PCM-M10 provides a few volts of plug-in power, but it's not stated in the specification. In any case, it may not be enough for the CA-14s to cope with a loud environment like a rock concert.

I would continue to use the battery box for the CA-14s and take the output into either the M10 line input or the mic input (with any plug-in power turned off) depending on the amount of gain needed. This removes any concern over increased battery drain in the M10, which would be negligible anyway.