soundcard advice..

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by odog, Jun 2, 2004.

1. odog

odog Guest

i am purchasing a computer and everything needed to record mostly acoustic style music with some other instruments at some times...(drums, piano, electrik :) )

im not quite sure what type of soundcard to get.. 24bit , 96 khz im sure is all i need.. and for mixing do i just buy the mixer and plug it into the sound card?? im not realy sure how it all works..

any explanations would be gladly appretiated..
    thanks...
    :)

2. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

It all depends really on the way you work, an how many tracks you want to be able to record simultaneously.

If a stereo track at a time is all you need, then you'll only need a 2 in, 2 out card. If you want to record a whole drum kit or even record a band live you'll need something with 8-16 or even 24 Inputs.

All the audio sequencers that I know of have built in software mixers, so whether you need an external mixer will be something for you to weigh up, remembering then you'll want a Audio Card with multiple outputs so you can route these to your hardware mixer.

I know I've been a bit vague, but if there's anything else specifically you need to know there are many people 'round here willing to lend a hand. :)

3. odog

odog Guest

im not quite sure on what your talking about.. do you mean if i want to plug my guitar dirrectly intothe soundcard??

i want to buy a mixer so that when i do record drums/other instruments i can plug them into the mixer that plugs into the soundcard.. this is how it works right??..

thanks

4. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

odog

here's a link that should help you thru the process,,,,

not that we here at RO can't help, but this should help you undertsand basics, plus, :)

http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm

goodluck

Sanity inn

5. odog

odog Guest

thanks a bunch :D

6. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

holly crap, i posted that 2 seconds ago lol

enjoy the read hope it helps

SI

7. odog

odog Guest

i am aminly going to record just acoustic guitar and drums somtimes. and mayie some other intruments .. so i like the idea of the mixer plugged into the soundcard.. i was just looking at some soundcard options and i thought this one MAudio Audiophile 2496
    was pretty good ...
    any suggestions

heres a link for the specs
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

thanks

8. odog

odog Guest

remember im just starting out,, so i dont want to drop a ton of money ... il most deffinately upgradel8er...

if theres any suggestions for any other card throw them down..
    thanks